LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT1 running like garbage

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009 | 08:44 AM

The symtoms from this car describe what my friend is going though...The common Theme is the they just changed the Fuel Pump....and assuming they both might have run it out of gas....Fouled Plugs?

Old 08-25-2009 | 02:38 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Well boys, after MUCH deliberation and almost setting fire to the heap, lol, I put ANOTHER set of new plugs in it with the NEW plug wires and brand new opti, new fuel filter, I decided to whip out the Walbro 255 (supposedly badass) fuel pump that had been put in because after we did the fuel pressure test, it was showing perfect pressure but **** poor volume. End of story, the strainer and the screen on the pump were COMPLETELY clogged up with crap! I brake parts cleanered the **** out of the pump and housing, sucked all the gas out of the tank and scrubbed it out with karosene. Put another new fuel filter in, cleaned everything out AGAIN, dropped the pump back in the tank and she's back to hurting mustang's feelings and wasting 295's off the back. Thank God!!!! I was an inch away from yanking the motor. Thanks for all ya'll's help!

Old 08-25-2009 | 02:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

should be running really good now. all them new parts.

Old 08-30-2009 | 06:53 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Uhhhhhh, how many years do you get for insurance fraud? I'm getting ready to set the car on fire and call USAA and tell them to come get the piece of ****. I drove the car this morning to the store, ran a little rough and seemed to be missing, shut it off at home, went back out sever al hours later, nothing, turns over and turns over and turns over but doesn't even attempt to fire up until you floor it and even then it won't all the way. Black smoke out of the pipes. Have fuel pressure at the test port on the back of the intake and the pump is running, pulled a plug wire and have spark. What the hell, guys? I JUST put a brand new OEM opti in it 3 weeks ago. I've been told that little pigtail harness thing that runs from the big grey plug on the passenger side of the intake down to the opti with crazy long plug on it can cause problems. The part that plugs into the opti is a little jacked up and one of the prongs in it was ****ty when I changed the opti, The little ribbed rubber part at the top of the long plug is exposed, too. Thoughts, suggestions? Spark and fuel, no starting.

Old 08-30-2009 | 07:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

take the fuel filter out and see if it got clogged up from stuff in the lines.

Old 08-30-2009 | 07:32 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Dude, I changed it yesterday. It's getting fuel to the test port behind the intake.

Old 08-30-2009 | 07:57 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

after reading again it really sounds like your getting to much fuel or not enough spark. so can u get any codes out of it? what is the fuel pressure. 37 lbs is a good spot for it. check the maf wires and condition.

Old 08-30-2009 | 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by mjoacim
The part that plugs into the opti is a little jacked up and one of the prongs in it was ****ty when I changed the opti, The little ribbed rubber part at the top of the long plug is exposed, too. Thoughts, suggestions? Spark and fuel, no starting.
If you're talking about the ribbed rubber boot seal on the plug that goes into the opti, then the plug isn't in all the way. And that would be a problem. I wonder if you may have bent a prong? But whichever plug you're referring to, if the boot is showing, it's not plugged in all the way.

Old 08-30-2009 | 10:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 08-31-2009 | 10:43 AM
|
In the Staging Lanes

The reason the rubber boot was exposed was because the top half of the plug was all jacked and broken. I put a brand new one on last night and nothing, no go. The fuel pressure is good. I haven't even put a gauge on it again but it shoots out good and hard at the test port at the back of the intake. I'm thinking it's the damn opti again. It was hard to get started as in you had to floor it until now that it won't start at all, that's an opti symptom, it pumped balck smoke out of the pipes, that's an opti symptom, it would die out while running suddenly, that's a symptom, it ran rough like it was misfiring, that's another symptom. It did all that until it finally won't start anymore.

Quick Reply: LT1 running like garbage