LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Lt1 overheating trouble can u help??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Unhappy Lt1 overheating trouble can u help??

I got a 97 z28 and its having sum overheating problems.I kno for sure one reason is that my fans arent working but jus recently my a/c started blowin smoke like as u could see it and it smelled like the antifreeze was burning or sumthing but the engine wasnt smoking or anything jus the a/c on the inside and at first the car wasnt overheating it was jus that and then it started to overheat once i turned it off and turned it on again like an hour later and when i was driving and i was stopped,the temp would go up but when i got back going it cooled down again so wat do yall think could be the problem.but this morning i took it to work and it did fine.my radiator is not leaking and like i said my engine fans dont work so i kno thats one reason and im working on that but wat else could i do or check

Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the A/C leak and the overheating are two different problems. The way they are related is that the ac compressor puts a load on the engine and is causing it to heat up a little more. The overheating is due to the fans being off. Did fine this a.m. when it was cool but you need to get those things running because in traffic the car is gonna overheat. The radiator needs air flowing across it to cool the fluid. That is why when you are stopped the car is overheating and once you get moving again it cools right off.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:03 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so it was smoking/steam inside the car or under the hood? are you losing coolant? wet spot on passenger side floor?

Old 10-25-2010, 03:06 PM

TO CRABY jus inside.smoke/steam watever u wanna call it was comin from the a/c when it was blowin but no leaks and not really losin coolant i check it and either im good or i jus gotta put a lil bit but no wet spot either

Old 10-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Tech Droid

Sounds like the AC evaporator sprung a leak. Do not run the AC as the compressor does not like running empty. Fix your fans so that they run when engine gets hot.

Last edited by z28pete; 10-25-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if your saying its coming inside the car, the ac stuff is not good to be breathing.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Wat else u think it could be or u think thats wat the problem is for sure Craby

Old 10-25-2010, 06:08 PM

I am also having an overheating issue with mine.
I just got into it today and discovered it was not cracked heads.
I had a b-body LT1 and when it was overheating the cause was cracked heads.

Anyway, I am almost certain that MY overheating issue is a combination of the clogged banjo bolts as well as the previous owner removed the oil cooler.

If you still have an oil cooler, I'd suggest taking your engine apart and checking your heads and then your banjo bolts

Old 10-25-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by nine-six-zee28
I am also having an overheating issue with mine.
I just got into it today and discovered it was not cracked heads.
I had a b-body LT1 and when it was overheating the cause was cracked heads.

Anyway, I am almost certain that MY overheating issue is a combination of the clogged banjo bolts as well as the previous owner removed the oil cooler.

If you still have an oil cooler, I'd suggest taking your engine apart and checking your heads and then your banjo bolts
naw i dont think thats it cuz i had my heads redone like 2 months ago

Old 10-25-2010, 07:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by jtmoney0089
naw i dont think thats it cuz i had my heads redone like 2 months ago
I think you're missing his point about checking the heads. Since your car has been overheating, i would check them to make sure they haven't warped from the recent overheating.

Its better to be safe than blow the engine apart because some antifreeze was leaking into the block.

Quick Reply: Lt1 overheating trouble can u help??