LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT1 to LT4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Overdrive Member

Someone needs to make an LT1 to LT4 sticky.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by 95slvrZ28
You can pull the cam and heads with the motor in, you'll need to remove the radiator, I think you can get it without pulling the whole front bumper. That said, start with the "simple" bolt-ons like header back exhaust and a cold air intake. Don't get ahead of yourself (or your wallet) in modifications, especially if you're doing the work yourself. Most of the mods you listed above depend on the amount of power you're targeting. If you want 450+ RWHP you're going to need almost everything listed above (aside from a new intake manifold, you just need to port the one you have), if you're targeting below 350 RWHP you probably only need the basic bolt-ons and head/cam.
Im still going to go in order on mods but I paln on buying a good bit of stuff in a short period of time. In a few months Im going to get 2 jobs for the summer and work full time + part time and try to make around 7 grand in that time period.
Hopefully Ill have enough left over to put most of the stuff I want on it. All I pay for is insurance, gas, my cell phone, and eating. so ill be able to put alot into the car. Not,you know, double the value, nothing like new Heads or stroking it or adding a turbo/SC. but I think I will be able to afford most bolt ons.
I honestly cannot tell you a HP target because I dont know what parts give what kinda power. How easy is it to pull 400rwhp ?? do I need anything extreme or is it jsut basic stuff like I named.

Btw nice z06 wheels

Old 04-16-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by 02StanGT
Someone needs to make an LT1 to LT4 sticky.
honestly I didn't title the thread very well. I dont want to make a LT4 I was just wondering what can give a LT1 the same power as a LT4 (IE about 25 extra horses)
But now im getting more into things since people are throwing numbers like "350, 400, and 450 rwhp" around like they are normal numbers

Old 04-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Overdrive Member

Ah, okay. Someone still should make one. That question does get asked alot.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 PM

I bet, who doesnt wanna run with the vettes?

Old 04-17-2009, 02:00 AM
Overdrive Member

I should make an LT1 to LT4 sticky...I'll get on that here when my head isn't exploding from school and I have some free time.

In the mean time...
To the OP: 6-7 grand into the car would be enough to get you 400 RWHP. Is that number an "easy" number to get? No, it requires a pretty hefty cam and a good work done on the heads, but you can attain it with the stock displacement. You'll need all the supporting mods you listed, as well as 33# injectors and a full dyno tune (which will probably run you 500+). Those numbers aren't easy, but they're there. Full bolt-ons will probably net you 40 or so crank HP, so an extra 25-30 or so to the wheels realistically, potentially more. Once you get past the basic bolt on stage (intake, headers back exhaust, gears, stall if you're auto) you have to decide what your target HP is and you get into big boy territory.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

Yea Edelbrock is not the best set up for your LT1. Haha! Ask me how I know!

Old 04-17-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by LT1RUNNER
Yea Edelbrock is not the best set up for your LT1. Haha! Ask me how I know!
hey I was just lookin at your sig mods. What did you have to do to put the cam in? just remove the radiator? or is there more.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

No I completly redid the entire engine. I pruchased a rebuilt block and swapped the cam and added the heads. It's not a bad set up and does put out more than stock but you can do more with the same money for what I paid.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by LT1RUNNER
No I completly redid the entire engine. I pruchased a rebuilt block and swapped the cam and added the heads. It's not a bad set up and does put out more than stock but you can do more with the same money for what I paid.
Why do you say that? because you bought a rebuilt one?