LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT1 to LT4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Default LT1 to LT4?

So I was looking at the power ratings and noticed that the C4 with the LT1 is rated at 300 hp and 340 ft/lbs
What is in this engine the bump it up from the camaros power?

What I really want to know is what the the difference between the LT4 and LT1. I know about the hot cam and LT4 intake manifold but what else is there. Are the heads any different?
Does anyone have a guess as to what a 93 Camaro with a Hot cam , a edelbrock LT4 intake, exhaust cutouts, headers, a SLP (ls1) style intake, new rods, roller rocker and some other goodies will run??
Id love to be able to get at least 300 hp out of it but dont knwo how well they respond to some bolts ons.
Mostly I would just like my LT1 to run a little more like its a Ls1.

its seems really possible, If the Corvette LT1 gets 300 then it shouldnt be too hard right XD

Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Hey, man, the difference between the LT1 and LT4 is the cam/heads/intake and some other little things. Just a cam change can get you into the 300's, even head work, port/polish can get you there. 94's were rated at 275, so it's not that far off.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

are we talking rwhp or at the flywheel? those are two totally different things.

you already have a hotcam or are planning on getting it? if you don't have it, i wouldn' waste my money on it. there are other cams out there that will give you more power than the hotcam.

the swap to stock LT4 stuff is a HUGE waste of money. no offense, but that edelbrock intake is really a waste of money as well.

now AFR makes what they call an LT4 combo that really is the real deal. that set up will make you run like a bat out of hell...but its totally different than the original LT4

Old 04-16-2009, 04:20 PM

Oh yeah i know a totaly LT4 changeover is a waste, ive looked at the whole packages before.
I was just throwing some general stuff out there. I havent look at stuff in a long time and no I do not have a hotcam, but i do remember looking at other cams that seemed alot better. the hot cam is barely mild imo.
As for rwhp or flywheel i dunno, is the 320 and 275 for LT1 and LS1 flywheel?
none taken. I havent seen any other LT1 intakes so thats what i named.
Im assuming it being AFT the combo includes headers? (ie expensive)

Old 04-16-2009, 04:23 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

expensive? yes...come with headers...no, lol

the 320 and 275 are flywheel horsepower

start with the basic mods and work your way to the big ones

Old 04-16-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by greenarrow
Hey, man, the difference between the LT1 and LT4 is the cam/heads/intake and some other little things. Just a cam change can get you into the 300's, even head work, port/polish can get you there. 94's were rated at 275, so it's not that far off.
Yeah i was thinking ,hey its just 25 hp, so it shouldnt be a big deal right? For some cars that can be exhaust and intake lol. How far off do you think 350 would be? And what kind of range does the torque stay in? I think they are rated at 325 or somethin? So maybe 340+ with 300 hp?
Also, I do not have one yet, I am lookin at getting a LT1 camaro but i still need a bit more money. How hard are these cars to work on? The engine looks like its halfway under the cowl.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by whammer3024
expensive? yes...come with headers...no, lol

the 320 and 275 are flywheel horsepower

start with the basic mods and work your way to the big ones
headers lol.. sorry thats a typo. I said expensive and accidently wrote headers. I meant heads

Old 04-16-2009, 04:54 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

these cars can be a real pain to work on...headers are something you only want to do once...i promise you this.

a good cam matched with a good porting of your stock heads can easily get you to 400RWHP with the proper supporting mods

Old 04-16-2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by whammer3024
these cars can be a real pain to work on...headers are something you only want to do once...i promise you this.

a good cam matched with a good porting of your stock heads can easily get you to 400RWHP with the proper supporting mods
Lol sounds like youve had some first hand experience.
are you serious ,400? you think itd take a pretty hot cam?
I was looking at an article, saw a lt1 with cai,Tb,new wires, and a foil get 280 rwhp and around 305 ft/lbs. Do you think that a new intake manifold is necessary? A cam and port/polish is a definite thing but what else do you think should go along with it.
I wanna get a lower thermostat, fan switch, loudmouth,headers,cutouts,1:6 rockers,support for cam, I heard the pushrods should be replaced on LT1s, tb, cam, port/polish, sub frame connectors and maybe replace the optispark.
You have any other ideas or personal advice? Anyone have input on using the SLP intake or just using the CAI moroso.
Also, is a engine pull necessary to pull the heads and Cam or can i just take the front bumper and radiator off?

Last edited by sidescrollin; 04-16-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Overdrive Member

You can pull the cam and heads with the motor in, you'll need to remove the radiator, I think you can get it without pulling the whole front bumper. That said, start with the "simple" bolt-ons like header back exhaust and a cold air intake. Don't get ahead of yourself (or your wallet) in modifications, especially if you're doing the work yourself. Most of the mods you listed above depend on the amount of power you're targeting. If you want 450+ RWHP you're going to need almost everything listed above (aside from a new intake manifold, you just need to port the one you have), if you're targeting below 350 RWHP you probably only need the basic bolt-ons and head/cam.