LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

lt1 head gasket cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BudBrown
understand im not saying made in anywhere is better. Im saying Advanced carries better brands than the "advanced brand" look into the QUALITY of the build, not the where its made... Why worry about that when your car is made in canada??? Im saying that #1 he will need to replace it, because he blew the head. Theres gonna be messy stuff in the water pump. no question there. I would go with a better brand PERSONALLY than the advanced store brand based off of their quality and their reputation for production.
interesting

around me I have

NAPA
Autozone
private name
Advance Auto

I exclusively now only buy from Adv Auto for all 6 vehicles. What they don't have, or can't come close to pricing, I buy buy from Rock Auto on-line

your personal experience might be bad or you are basing it off of one experience or that of a friend. My experiences have been acceptable and most important, it's what they do if you encounter a bad part. They are all simply resellers so it's support which is also important.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i have used aa with min issues. buddy used to run one. i use new water pump, not rebuilt.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:30 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
interesting

around me I have

NAPA
Autozone
private name
Advance Auto

I exclusively now only buy from Adv Auto for all 6 vehicles. What they don't have, or can't come close to pricing, I buy buy from Rock Auto on-line

your personal experience might be bad or you are basing it off of one experience or that of a friend. My experiences have been acceptable and most important, it's what they do if you encounter a bad part. They are all simply resellers so it's support which is also important.
Ok, your missing what I'm saying...

I don't care who you buy it from... You can buy the GM OER water pump from advanced, and you can compare it to the Advanced Auto parts "brand" and they were probably made in the same place...where you can also buy (order) electric water pumps (not endorsing) "Tough enough" all aluminum pumps, etc. Im trying to say Cheaper isn't always better, and you are arguing for retailer preference... I can buy mobile 1 all 3 places... does that mean Craby is going to tell me i should buy it at Autozone instead? (not that he would/not endorse mobile 1)see what I'm getting at?

look for a better quality pump than the one you had on your car, that way you won't have an issue in the near future.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 AM
4th Gear Member

Ok, your missing what I'm saying...

I don't care who you buy it from... You can buy the GM OER water pump from advanced, and you can compare it to the Advanced Auto parts "brand" and they were probably made in the same place...where you can also buy (order) electric water pumps (not endorsing) "Tough enough" all aluminum pumps, etc. Im trying to say Cheaper isn't always better, and you are arguing for retailer preference... I can buy mobile 1 all 3 places... does that mean Craby is going to tell me i should buy it at Autozone instead? (not that he would/not endorse mobile 1)see what I'm getting at?

look for a better quality pump than the one you had on your car, that way you won't have an issue in the near future.
nah, I don't see what you are trying to say at all

your initial claim was to stay away from adv auto which is unfair

you are now backing away from that which is good to see

they are all simply resellers of parts .

Sure, some stores like ADV auto, Pep, Autozone, NAPA go out and OEM Chinese products for items like wiper blades, filters etc.

example, adv auto now has "driveworks" brand filters.

I buy them for air filtration but keep away for oil and fuel

also, paying more does not always mean the product is better. I've won way too many accounts in my own business and we cost less than the big guys but outperform them.

MSD optisparks and plug wires are a perfect example where price does not mean superior.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My koni's were shot when i bought the car. It ate a set of tires in 6 months. new koni's, and i have had no tire wear issues since.
Sorry to go off topic but I thought one of the big selling points of the Koni was they had lifetime waranty. If they ever fail you just send them in and they rebuild them for free no questions asked?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:20 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by Gorn
Sorry to go off topic but I thought one of the big selling points of the Koni was they had lifetime waranty. If they ever fail you just send them in and they rebuild them for free no questions asked?
Your fine Gorn,

They were shot when i bought it... I had no connection to them, other than i bought the car. The warranty didn't apply to my knowledge. If it is transferable i didn't know to ask... but now I'm sure they are under warranty.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

back on topic, please.