LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

loudd!!! what should i do for the loudest exhaust guys ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: loudd!!! what should i do for the loudest exhaust guys ?

ya man those all sound good especially the white Z on the highway that takes off, so I'm thinking im gonna go some sort of LT (idk which one) and Slp loudmouth, so basically whats the best LT, and whatshould i do aboutthe cat situation ?

Old 11-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Ninja Administrator

Ive never done LT's on a lt1 motor, but i like pacesetter, they seem to know their stuff. fitment is the biggest issue with headers. for the cats, just buy a new y-pipe. you will need to anyway if u go with LT's cuz the stock one is the wrong size. just buy one without cats, cuz its about 100 dollars cheaper that way btw, i just got my car back from the shop and took an exhaust clip. uploading here soon.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Overdrive Member

As far as headers go for an LT1, as far as "best" in quality you're looking at either Kooks or Dynatech, they're comparable in price and quality, both all stainless etc. Down from that I'd say Hooker, and then Pacesetter. The main advantage that you get with the Kooks and Dynatech is the header is more equal length which helps produce more low end torque. They'll also come with a thicker, and flatter flange which helps reduce leaks, they probably flow a bit better too because they'll have smoother bends. There was an article in Chevy High Performance that included Kooks headers in their build up and they used them for their superior flow and fit(they have amazing ground clearance). The only downfall is you have to pay more for them (which is expected).

Old 11-15-2007, 04:42 PM
4th Gear Member

Hows this setup, i plan on getting pacesetter LTs, magnaflow high flow cat(kuz i have to pass emissions) Magnaflow catback with 3in pipes and ill probably have a Y pipe fabbed to fit. I heard full magnaflow catbak on a newer Tahoe and it sounded beastly compared to a stock Suburban of the same year. I know its probably different on our cars, but magnaflow just impresses me. Any takes on this idea?

Old 11-15-2007, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I say go with the Magnaflow its what I have on my car and it sounds amazing. I have true duals with an H-pipe. And no cats I love my state they don't do emissions tests. If you have to pass them have you thought about 02 simulators. They trick your computer into thinking that your exhaust is flowing like the stock system thus passing the test when in actuallity you aren't. I know some who have that problem got 02 simulators and have passed all of them since they got them.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Ninja Administrator

it depends on how the state does the test. if they use a sniffer u will probably be screwed. alot of times u use the simulators for CATTED pipes, because the increased temps from the headers will trip an SEL. the simulators turn off the sel by telling the computer all is well downwind from the cat. since the temps dont affect exhaust fuel ratios you are still fine.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Overdrive Member

Spartan shouldn't have to worry about O2 sims because his car is a '94(right?) meaning it's OBDI and doesn't have O2 sensors after the cats, but if you don't have cats and you have the "sniffer" test you're pretty much skrewed. My car, even with high flow cats, failed the extended test because the cats had cooled off waiting in line, so they had to retest it, then it passed with flying colors!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

hooker vs. pacesetter LT's ? what do you guys think ? I don't want to go broke lol

Old 11-16-2007, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

so really guys ?? im pretty confused spartan man so would you go with the loudmouth or magnaflow cat-back ?
(i dont have emissions testing)

Old 11-16-2007, 11:37 PM
4th Gear Member

Personally ive heard SLPs and they sound like my exhuast as it stands.. 3inch pipes and no cat, nothing special in my eyes. Ive heard Magnaflow on everything from Mopars to Mustangs and Camaros and it always gives a nice loud muscle car rumble. Plus the cat back im looking at comes with the rounded pointed tippolishedtail pipes.

Check it, under chevy,98-02 w/ Mag (dont buy from magnaflows site.. expensive as hell.. btw)
http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/04american.asp

Quick Reply: loudd!!! what should i do for the loudest exhaust guys ?