LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Looking at a '94 Z28 Should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:02 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Just from your pics i see 4-600 worth of work... just a heads up. Valve cover gaskets, driver door panel looks beat on, youll need to get a new MAS (mass airflow sensor) due to K&N oil building up if your not carful it will kill your mileage. and the radiator has been replaced. you can see the hoses tied down in the wrong places. I'm betting on a minor front end wreck worst case scenario.

Last edited by BudBrown; 07-06-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:18 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

kooks are not cheap and are one of if not the best header made for the lt1. any 3 in performance cat back is gooing to produce some good hp gains with those headers and a tune. just a hint solomon has done a better job tuning for me than pcmforles.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Kubs
I dont think there is anything wrong with a Flowmaster. I think it sounds great. I know they are not true SS rims, but the SS style. They could also be called corvette grand sport, ZR1, or CE wheels. All the same style. Also, they are 17x9.5 and I believe the SS wheels were 17x9.

The shifter is definitely a shorter throw and has a notchy feel like the Hurst one in my Vette. He has all the old parts, including a new computer tuned by PCMforless. I know he his not lying about the mods. KBB on the vehicle is 5K in excellent condition and I think this one qualifies. I ended up buying it for $5800. All the Z28s in my area in the 3-4K range need a good bit of work and this one needs nothing. I dont mind paying a little more to have something I can just get in and drive instead os work on. I dont doubt there are better deals out there, but in my area this seems to be a pretty good car for the money.

HAHA! i dont know where you got your blue book price but in absolute perfect condition is 3k. And idk why he hasnt already put in the computer if its so better than the one he already has in there. But like you said you already bought it so it dont matter what anyone says now.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
I'd stay away from anything relating to the CIA. Even the FBI is questionable. Deal with your local police if you must

what.....he wrote it first
Creative way of pointing out my typo!

Originally Posted by BudBrown
Just from your pics i see 4-600 worth of work... just a heads up. Valve cover gaskets, driver door panel looks beat on, youll need to get a new MAS (mass airflow sensor) due to K&N oil building up if your not carful it will kill your mileage. and the radiator has been replaced. you can see the hoses tied down in the wrong places. I'm betting on a minor front end wreck worst case scenario.
Thanks for the tips. I will keep an eye on the MAS.

Originally Posted by Red94z28
HAHA! i dont know where you got your blue book price but in absolute perfect condition is 3k. And idk why he hasnt already put in the computer if its so better than the one he already has in there. But like you said you already bought it so it dont matter what anyone says now.
Im sorry if I worded it weird, but the new computer is the one in the car and the stock one goes with the car. I got my blue book value from kbb.com and typed in my zip code.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
kooks are not cheap and are one of if not the best header made for the lt1. any 3 in performance cat back is gooing to produce some good hp gains with those headers and a tune. just a hint solomon has done a better job tuning for me than pcmforles.
I looked up kooks headers after i went to look at the car and i agree they look like good pieces. I have had PCMforless tune my race car and they get pretty close but i have my own tuning equipment now and i will most likely check it myself.

Last edited by Kubs; 07-07-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:00 PM
2nd Gear member

Kooks are some of the best headers you can get. They should last forever being that they're stainless. If the car has all the mods you would have done personally then it's a great deal and will even out.

And $3000? Are you ****ing insane? Hit me up next time one of those rolls around. We're talking KBB private party valve which is in the middle of stealership sticker price with their wonderful 200% markup and dirt cheap trade in value.

Last edited by Catmaigne; 07-07-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ummm im not as creative as 69.... its a maf sensor. mass air flow.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I agree, if someone sees one of these in excellent condition for 3k, let me know. But seriously, I live in ohio and have been buying and selling Camaros for a couple of years now. For 6k you could find a stock 98-02 with a better engine than the LT1 and do mods yourself and know for a fact they were done right.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Z28Freak
For 6k you could find a stock 98-02 with a better engine than the LT1 and do mods yourself and know for a fact they were done right.
Yeah, with 150,000 miles.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You would be surprised around where I live. I got my 94 z28 with 11600 miles for $2300 with no problems at all other than needing a new coolant temp sensor.