LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Left keys in overnight..

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Left keys in overnight..

me and a friend put in a new head unit. Started car to test it, worked good. Turned car off, and left keys in either of the two positions before start. Found keys inside the car this morning, and it wouldn't start and nothing would come on in the dash.

Bought jumper cables, hooked to my moms 07 civic (alarm went off as soon as it was hooked up), tried it after 30 seconds no go. Tried it after a couple minutes no go. Tried it after 30 minutes of charging, it wouldn't start but the dash stuff would light up. Charged it another 30 minutes still wouldn't start, but the dash lights up and remains on and the battery power status is above half way, the power accessories work, and the "hum" can be heard when the keys are in and its in the on position. Also, when i try to start it or touch something in the engine the alarm will go off..

What should i do next? My dad recommended getting a battery charger and seeing if that will charge it.. Should i take the battery out and have it tested to see if its still good

95 z28 by the way

Old 05-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That's strange that a jump start didn't give it enough juice to start. The battery may have gone south, which normally shouldn't happen even after completely draining it like that (unless it was then allowed to freeze in sub-zero weather). Yeah, I'd take the battery in to get load tested. Btw, an alternator (jump starting) puts out a lot more amperage and faster charge than a battery charger does, unless you have a high output one that has a start mode.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ill take it out and get it tested.. its an Optima red top with a 1/2011 sticker on it...

Old 05-04-2012, 04:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Took it to Advanced Auto Parts and they measured it.. 11.(something) volts.. They are going to trickle charge it, i hope it works tomorrow!

Old 05-04-2012, 04:50 PM
4th Gear Member

^ Good boy going to Advance. We know our stuff. Haha. Any ways 11 volts is a little low. A normal battery reads in the 12.5-12.7 range. Did they happen to tell how much CCA the battery had left when they tested it? Also, you didn't mention any thing on the starter? Did it click when you tried starting it? Leaving the car on shouldn't effect the starter at all but you never know. I can't see an Optima being drained completely overnight. They're tough batteries even though we don't sell too many of them.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
^ Good boy going to Advance. We know our stuff. Haha. Any ways 11 volts is a little low. A normal battery reads in the 12.5-12.7 range. Did they happen to tell how much CCA the battery had left when they tested it? Also, you didn't mention any thing on the starter? Did it click when you tried starting it? Leaving the car on shouldn't effect the starter at all but you never know. I can't see an Optima being drained completely overnight. They're tough batteries even though we don't sell too many of them.
They didn't say anything about the CCA. Just told me the volts and took it to get charged

When I had my friend try to start it, i heard something click.. and saw something move up and down or what not.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 PM
4th Gear Member

Starter should have went click several times depending on how long you held the key in the start position. Guess you'll have to find out tomorrow when you get the battery back. Luckily, if you bought it at Advance, you should still be under warranty for it.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 PM
2nd Gear member

Sounds like the battery to me. Had the same thing in my truck...with a new battery. But I know all the Advance guys by name and they know me by name so I get royal treatment when me or the wife goes there....they are some good ppl!.....discounts are good also!!!!

Old 05-05-2012, 01:56 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by numskull223
Sounds like the battery to me. Had the same thing in my truck...with a new battery. But I know all the Advance guys by name and they know me by name so I get royal treatment when me or the wife goes there....they are some good ppl!.....discounts are good also!!!!
Working there is better. I get discounts and I get to meet great people...an the occasional a$$hole

But I only mentioned the starter because he didn't say if it clicked at all. I would assume the battery also since they tested it and it was low. But I've seen Optimas take some beatings when it comes to draining them.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Working there is better. I get discounts and I get to meet great people...an the occasional a$$hole

But I only mentioned the starter because he didn't say if it clicked at all. I would assume the battery also since they tested it and it was low. But I've seen Optimas take some beatings when it comes to draining them.
I did hear the starter click, but I can't say how long my friend held the key to start it

Quick Reply: Left keys in overnight..