LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Leaking Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Default Leaking Oil

Today I parked my 95 z28 outside and about 2 hours later I went outside and noticed that there was a lot of oil on the driveway. This had to have started today because I had it parked inside for the past few days with cardboard underneath and it wasn't leaking. I took a look underneath and it might be leaking from just below the optispark or from the timing cover but I'm not sure. I'll post pics shortly.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 PM

Name:  oil1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  82.2 KB
Name:  oil2.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  82.0 KB
Sorry I'm not the best at taking pictures but I'll try to get better ones.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:30 PM

Well it seems to not be leaking right now but I'll let it sit for awhile and check it out later. I'm definitely going to look into fixing it. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Old 04-26-2010, 05:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

could be the intake or the water pump seal. i would look at the intake first. lt1 is known for the end seals failing. can u follow the trail?

Old 04-26-2010, 07:22 PM

I think it might be the water pump seal. I tried to trace it and it looks like it might be coming from it. It makes sense because I replaced the water pump a few weeks ago and that might have damaged it somehow.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the pump shaft on the new pump probly is not in the exact same place as the old one so the stiff old seal was most likely used to the old one and not the new one. u should have replaced that seal. im sure 69 will be on to let u know that. well maybe not now. lol. theres a sticky on how to install correctly at the top of the lt1 or 4th gen section.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Shoulda replaced the seal....Craby made me say it! But yeah, after going that far, it would have been a good idea to do it.
Try to wipe everything down as well as you can to remove the old oil crud, then see where the new oil trail comes from.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 PM

I'm really,really regretting it now but I didn't think about it at the time Taking everything apart the first time wasn't fun but it shouldn't take quite as long this time thanks for the help

Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

now dont get to far ahead of yourself. do like he said and wipe things down first and see if u can confirm thats were the leak is befor u take it all apart and fix the wrong thing. i had a slow leak in the power steering seal and it looked like a water pump seal leak. it was running down the mount and coming down from behind the opti. i would not have known it if i had not had to take the steering pump out when i changed the motor. there was a trail right up the mount to the front of the ps pump.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:02 AM
4th Gear Member

another voice here to join the choir.

You had no oil leak

you replaced the waterpump

you now have an oil leak???

It appears to be more fluid than just occasional seepage

so, common sense says that something was disrupted but then again, common sense does not always prevail with automobiles.

Anyway, yes, you need to verify however, if it is leaking quite a bit, and it is the waterpump drive seal, then chances are that you now have a wee bit of wobble in the waterpump drive and don't want to drive with that too long unless of course you want to buy another waterpump.

Now, when you buy the timing cover gasket kit, it will come with 3 seals. Here is where only you can answer the question; are you going to replace all 3 seals since you are "in there" and play it safe (but take more time) or are you going after just the one? I know what I would do.....and have done.

for some reason I can't post the link to Autozone but here's the part # TCS45956 and it cost $10.50

Quick Reply: Leaking Oil