LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Just picked up my 96 SS, needs work, I need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Default Just picked up my 96 SS, needs work, I need advice!

Hi all,

New to the forums, just bought a 1996 SS that needs some work. The car has 93k miles on it, but a new Jasper 350 Crate engine was installed at 78k, and the tranny was rebuilt at 88k. The oil pump went, and that's what caused the original engine to go. I reviewed the documentation before buying the car, and I am satisified with the work. When the new engine was installed, the previous owner installed stainless headers from Doug's headers. Also installed are Magnaflow mufflers. Owner sold this car as it was his dad's, but he passed away late last year, and just wanted it out of his garage.

The bad - SES light is on, code P0400. Not sure if this is due to a bad EGR valve or solenoid, or if the aftermarket headers are causing the code. At any rate, I need to resolve this so that I can pass CT emissions. The car runs perfect, and there are no issues while idling. Is some sort of EGR delete prgram needed for the ecu?

ABS INOP light came on while driving the car home. I was getting through some snow, so that could be some ice / snow buildup on the hub. Plan to wash the car as soon as the temp warms up, so hopefully that resolves that issue.

Low engine coolant light is on. Checked the level, and it is slightly low. What is the "special procedure" required to top off the coolant? I don't have the instruction manual for the car. Looks like it involves removing the radiator and filling the resevoir until coolant begins to seep out of the radiator cap? Did a forum search, but wasn't able to find an answer.

Minor cosmetic issue - power window / lock panel is broken off the door trim. Looks like it's just a cheap trim piece that broke. Assuming I need to go to a dealership to get a new part to resecure the panel back into the door trim?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-31-2011, 05:09 PM
Overdrive Member

Window switch trim is common on these cars. Make sure to get new clips as well.

Fill the radiator, no rocket science there and no special german-like fill requirements. If needed park the car on a hill to help move the air out of the engine. Make sure the over flow is at the proper level tho.

I have had snow cause my ABS INOP light to come on as well.

Does the car have an EGR valve still hooked up? If not there is the issue and yes you can get it programmed out of the PCM.

96 SS? Really... I thought the SS started in 97. You may want to check the codes in the glove box for a WU8 RPO code. If it is not there then I hope you didnt pay SS prices for a non SS car. The SS parts will work on non SS cars and alot of people have done the SS body conversion. Trust me I have been looking for a True SS and have found alot of fakes.

Massey

Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

SS started in 96 massey.

you will have to look and see if the EGR is still hooked up(doesn't have EGR delete plates). if its not blocked off, hook the EGR back up. if it is blocked, you will have to have the EGR code deleted out of your computer

i was hesitant to give advice since you have no pictures of your car. RULE #1, when you come to this site as a new member, WE DEMAND PICS! lol

Old 02-01-2011, 04:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hey stockpile i live in ct if you need any help i could stop by. pm me if you want any help. i also have a 96 ss, you should be able to check your rpo code on the drivers door you should see a wu8 and a r7t. wu8 is the gm code for ss and r7t is the slp code for the alteration to the car.you should also have a slp sticker on the drivers door and on the fan shroud.