LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Interesting Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Interesting Issue...

so my "low coolant level" light is on which seems to be normal with camaros...but last week my SES light came on and with them came both of my fans running constantly. So then I was parked for a minute tonight and saw I was leaking coolant pretty bad. I checked it out and saw that the electric cord that runs right next to the battery (i think its the coolant level sensor) was soaked in coolant. What I'm wondering is if that sensor is broke....could that cause the computer to flip out and turn the fans on??

PLEASE help!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

replace it and find out. lol. yah i think u found part of the problem. hopefully all of it.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The SES light and the coolant issue may not be related. I'll address the coolant issue first.

You may have a bad radiator cap or it may not be screwed on all of t he way. My low coolant level light used to come on. After I replaced the radiator cap, it went away. However, your low coolant level sensor is probably working since you are losing coolant. One way to test this is to check your coolant level. Is your coolant level low? If you are losing coolant from somewhere near your battery I would check the radiator cap. In addition, I would also check to see that the radiator hoses and clamps are all connected without any holes and that the bleed valves are closed. Let me know if you need locations of these components.

As for the SES issue...

Is the SES light coming on because of the coolant issue? A common issue causing the fans and the SES light to come on is a problem with the secondary air pump circuit. Problems with the air pump circuit trigger a code 29 in ODB 1 systems. The most common component causing this problem is the fuse itself. You can check the fuse by looking in the fuse box underneath the hood. There should be a diagram on the underside of the fuse box, which should show you the location and the voltage of the air pump fuse. Ensure there is a fuse in that location, it is the proper voltage, and that it is not blown. A blown fuse looks something like this
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wQ3IzXc40T...4BlownFuse.jpg. Other causes of code 29 would be a bad secondary air pump or a problem with the oxygen sensor. If you need locations of these components, let me know.

Good Luck.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:14 PM
4th Gear Member

low coolant light is not tied to the computer and won't cause an SES or the fans to turn on. My coolant level sensor has been disconnected for some time now.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:16 PM
4th Gear Member

Oh, these radiators also like to crack in the plastic areas. Give a looksee in good light to see if you have a crack in the radiator itself.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

First off I want to say thanks for the help but its still not fixed...

The fuses (7.5's) in the relay box are fine.

I just replaced the sensor for the coolant level...and the fans still did the same thing.

It just dosnt make any sense to anyone as to why they will shut off at stop lights EVERYTIME, but then start back up the second I roll forward.

I dont know much about engines but do you think there is a short in the alternator at low voltage that causes the fans to kick on? (i dont even know if that is possible)

I really have run out of ideas and am desperate for an answer to this ongoing problem...

Old 07-10-2009, 07:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

should be a fan relay in the power box under the hood. the relays should be all the same except the abs so change fan relay with any one except the abs one. if it changes the relay is bad. the temp sensor at the water pump could be the problem. it feeds info to the computer. scan the system for trouble codes and let us know what u find. ses light on should have triggered a code.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I recommend getting your car scanned to see what trouble codes are being generated by the SES light.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

mmmmk, so i replaced the coolant temp sensor on the water pump and the radiator cap problem is still there

I got trouble codes 29 and 32. 29 has to do with low voltage i think...but anyways, there is 2 fan relays and they both work fine. What is interesting is that when I turn the key to accessory the SES light is on but the fans dont kick on. I was talking to some guys I know and they think that there may be a bad ground somewhere? do you think that could be the problem?

Old 07-11-2009, 10:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

32 is egr circuit.

Attached Thumbnails Interesting Issue...-egr-.jpg   Interesting Issue...-egr2.jpg   Interesting Issue...-egr3.jpg   Interesting Issue...-egr4.jpg   Interesting Issue...-egr5.jpg  

Quick Reply: Interesting Issue...