LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Help: MAF Sensor Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Help: MAF Sensor Issue?

Alright ever sine my car shifted pretty hard from 1st to 2nd my car has been running funny....

Everytime I start my car (cold start is worse) it idles rough and my RPMs can drop all the way down to 500 sometimes shutting itself off. When I put it in drive it jerks and hesitates causing me to seem like I have a manual who doesnt know how to drive it.

It has the SES light on and it is a MAF sensor code. I just cleaned out the MAF with the cnc MAF cleaner and it is still doing it.... Before I buy a whole new MAF sensor what else can cause this or if anyone has ran into this problem before...

P.S. When I floor the gas and it reaches around 70 mph my car sounds like it has a rev limiter and it cuts out my gas...

Please help!!

Old 10-10-2009, 05:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

What year? Engine?

Old 10-10-2009, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

its 96 5.7....

As I drive on it, it gets better but the loss of power I notice tremendously... but it doesnt jerk or hesitate at drive off as its been driving for a mile or 2

Old 10-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Droid

Unplug the wires from the MAF & see how it runs with the MAF disconnected. Also make sure there are no leaks between the MAF and the throttle valve, and that the air cleaner is clean.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
Unplug the wires from the MAF & see how it runs with the MAF disconnected. Also make sure there are no leaks between the MAF and the throttle valve, and that the air cleaner is clean.
Still runs like crap without the MAF... there are no leaks and the air cleaner is clean... im thinking either the MAF sensor is bad or I have a Mass air leak

Old 10-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Droid

The car should roun OK with the MAF wires unplugged. If it still runs bad, then everything in front of the throttle body, including the MAF is OK. With the MAF unplugged the PCM works off the MAP sensor, which measures manifold vacuum instead of air flow.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
The car should roun OK with the MAF wires unplugged. If it still runs bad, then everything in front of the throttle body, including the MAF is OK. With the MAF unplugged the PCM works off the MAP sensor, which measures manifold vacuum instead of air flow.
So then what can it be if it is running like garbage with the MAF unplugged? would I have to clear the code after I unplug it or no?

Also not sure if this helps but the hesitation at take off goes away after a mile or so but i notice a huge loss of power and when I give it full throttle it basically cuts my gas like it has a rev limiter, is that normal?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok I just replaced the MAF sensor on it and its still doing it... The code its spitting out is a MAF sensor code... I unplugged the wire and its still running the same, weird this is that when at full throttle a "rev limiter" type of thing occurs where it cuts my gas also when I am in park or neutral and I rev high it does the same thing with the rev limiting thing...

It happened when my car shifted real rough from 1st to 2nd and it sounded like someone kicked the bottom of my floor board where the tranny is... If any one here knows what it is id appreciate it because I am stumped

Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

What is the exact code that the pcm has tripped? Sounds to me like air idle control. To check the IAC motor remove the unit, with the wires connected turn the key to the "on" position without starting the engine, the IAC should move in or out. If the IAC motor does nothing it has probably failed, replace it with a new unit and recheck system. Note: while the IAC motor is removed clean (use aerosol carburetor cleaner) the passages the IAC uses to control idle air speed, also inspect the IAC for a build-up on the seating (pointed) end and clean as necessary.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 383Stro
What is the exact code that the pcm has tripped? Sounds to me like air idle control. To check the IAC motor remove the unit, with the wires connected turn the key to the "on" position without starting the engine, the IAC should move in or out. If the IAC motor does nothing it has probably failed, replace it with a new unit and recheck system. Note: while the IAC motor is removed clean (use aerosol carburetor cleaner) the passages the IAC uses to control idle air speed, also inspect the IAC for a build-up on the seating (pointed) end and clean as necessary.
I forgot the code.. its written down at work.. but what I was thinking that it could be fuel pump? I have to check the fuel compression first, which im waiting for my friend to come over and we can check it since I dont have a tester... Ill try what you recommended.. Where is the IAC is it right next to the throttle body?

Quick Reply: Help: MAF Sensor Issue?