LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Help with detailed engine drop info

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Default Help with detailed engine drop info

Howdy all!! My first post and it’s a doozy (for me at least). I’m sending this call for help all the way from Germany. Let me start off with a little background info: I’m stationed in Germany (in the Army) and came across a 1995 Z28 for sale. Well, I grabbed it. It was in O.K. shape but it had been neglected and running pretty rough. So, my plan is to drop the engine, replace the tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, optispark, spark wires, ignition coil, spark plugs, timing chain and sprocket, gaskets/seals (oil pan, intake & exhaust manifold, timing cover, rear main, water pump, etc)….yada yada yada.
At this time, I would like to say that I have NEVER pulled an engine from a car before. And wouldn’t you know it? I had to pick the 95 Z28 that has to be dropped out of the bottom instead of pulled through the top. I’ve done A LOT of searches everywhere and have come across a lot of good info. Buuuuuuuut…….I still need something more.

What I’m looking for is “detailed” step by step instruction on how to remove the engine and all the necessary tools (special or otherwise) to accomplish said task. Since I’m over here in Germany, I can’t just run down to an Autozone to get a part that I forgot to order. I’ve got to plan ahead of time and be sure that I will have everything I need (barring breaking anything). I’ll be renting a bay with a lift so the less time in the bay…..the better & cheaper (charged by the hour). My goal is to drop the engine, replace all the gaskets/seals, and put it back together in 3 days (2 full days and a 5 hour day).

Just to let y’all know, I’ll have a battle (Army speak for buddy) helping me with the project, so there will be two of us. He’s an experienced Army Tracked Vehicle mechanic and I’m a Tank turret mechanic, so we are both mechanically inclined. We’ve just never done this before and need details to help us minimize the time spent renting the bay.

Sooooo, to recap: I would like to get detailed step by step instructions on how to drop the engine from the bottom. For example:
1. Drain all fluids (engine oil, transmission oil, coolant, power steering fluid and brake fluid)
2. disconnect the drive shaft at (whatever location)
3. disconnect the exhaust at (whatever location)
4. So on and so on

If anyone could show me the way, give me pointers or give recommendations to do anything else while it’s dropped, I would very much appreciate it. I just don’t want to miss anything since doing so will result in a 2 week delay (1 week minimum if I pay express for a part.)
B.L.U.F. (Bottom Line Up Front), I would like to get all my ducks in a row before tacking this project to minimize my Z’s down time.
THANKS!![/b]

Old 05-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Help with detailed engine drop info

This is about the best I could dig up.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

It has the required tools etc that you need, hope that helps!