2002 Drop Top.. Won't Drop & Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Location: James Creek, PA 16657 & 2nd Home in Bonifay, FL 32425
Default 2002 Drop Top.. Won't Drop & Need Advice

I parked my 02 Camaro Convertible for the Winter but set outside in FL with car cover. Yesterday, I serviced it and tried to lower the top for a little ride.

My hearing is bad but my son heard the top motor running in the trunk area. I checked the owners manual and the the 30 amp (reset type) breaker is located in the fuze (left side) panel on the driver side. The top motor drives off of the 30 amp breaker marked -- Windows.

Anyway, after about 20 seconds the top motor could not be heard again when the top switch (up/ down) was moved in either direction. The motor does have power going through the fuze pannel (100%).

Also, the right side window is lazy and has been for the last 6 months. This same door (pass. side) elec. door motor was replaced once already (before I bought car). It will not work on the pass. door sw., it will work slow.. on the driver side door switch panel but slow. I brought this up because the door windows share the same elec. circuit (Windows) with the Top Motor.

I bought a Chilton manual and saw nothing about convertible tops to help me out. I did (per owners manual) turn the control valve in the trunk to the Open Position. The top went up & down manually 100%... so it's Not hung up.

I'm thinking the electrical connections may have corroded somewhere, or switch, relay or what ___________________ ? Again, my Son heard the pump motor when the switch was moved but quit in a few seconds.

Yes, the top was unlatched and the car was setting level. Is there a reservoir somewhere and does it take hdy. fluid. If it leaked all the hdy. fluid out.. does it have a auto shut off sensor ? Was this the reason that the top motor shut down (sensor cut out switch) ? Could the hdy. fluid have leaked out and that's the reason that's it Not Doing a Thing... Zero Top Movement ?

Where is the top motor located (where in trunk).. has nothing in owner's manual.

I'd appreciate any type of guidance and troubleshooting information to get me in the right direction.

Avery

Last edited by Avery; 03-14-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Overdrive Member

Yes there is a res some where but I dont remember where sorry about that.

Lemme ask you this... When the top motor shuts off can you also use the windows? Does the radio also shut off? If you lose the radio and windows along with the top then check out the BCM repair thread. If not you are gonna have to double check all fittings and hoses to make sure nothing is leaking. I think the motor is behind the trunk liner on the driver's side. I never really had to work much on the verts so I am not entirely familiar with that version of this car.

Massey

Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Not sure if this will help but.. you'll find some general info.
http://performanceworks1.com/PDF%20F...tops-power.pdf

Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Default Follow Up to Answer Question's Asked on Drop Top

Other than the Pass. Elec. Window Not working with it's own door switch.. all other electrics are fine. The radio, heater fan, AC, everything work's 100%.

The pass. window works (up/dwn.) slow with the driver side Window Control Sw. and has been getting slower over a period of time. The Previous Owner replaced pass. window motor. He may have replaced this motor for the same problem's I'm having now and it was the wiring and switch problem all along.

I have Not dug around in the trunk to look around for the top motor. I did find the control valve and turned it to open pos. and put the top up and down manually with No problem.

I was looking to get ideas and be little smarter (info. from you all) before I dug into things back there. I'm retired now and was diesel mech. for 25 years. I have worked on cars but not my strong suit. I have a lot of tools and meter's and all that.. so give me some ideas and what to check and where.

Avery

Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Overdrive Member

Have you checked the fluid level yet? Check this out:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...nvertible.html

Name:  DSC00014.jpg
Views: 2175
Size:  91.7 KB

Old 03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Default Update to Last Update on Drop Top Problem

I printed off the Convertible Tops - Power Article that was linked to me.

This was a great article and what I needed. The article covered Camaro's to 99 to 2000 but everything looked the same as my 2002.

Here's what I found out a few minutes ago.

I was shocked to see that one of the brass barrel fittings were split open and fell off the line connection on the side of the top pump motor. All the hdy. fluid was pumped out because the line was open due to the busted fitting. I've been in the (mechanic) business for 45 years and this was wild... that this type of failure would happen (like this) to a 2002.

I will reservice the pump and bleed it as required. The article point's out that the pump will be ruined if it pumps without fluid in it. Well we did that all right and pumped all the fluid out of it. The only way to verify is reservice it and try it.

I found some folks that sold Top Parts, these pumps were expensive, over $470.00 & shipping. Won't that be a screwed up deal if I have to buy a new pump.

What Hdy. Fluid goes in this Top Pump ?

I don't see a hdy. oil listing in the Owners Manual or Chilton Book. I see cleaning care items listed for the top but No Hdy. Oil listed ! ? !

Avery

Old 03-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Pumps are cheaper on ebay and other places...

About the fluid, notice the highlight I added:

Document ID# 911168
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
Service VME - Convertible Top Hydraulic Fluid #PI00386 - (Aug 14, 2002)

Service VME -- Convertible Top Hydraulic Fluid

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

SERVICE VME

This is a service VME to all Chevrolet and Pontiac dealerships regarding 1994 through 2002 Camaro and Firebird convertible top hydraulic fluid. This is Art Spong, Brand Quality Manager for the F-cars. The service manual and ESI incorrectly advise to use DEXRON® III automatic transmission fluid for the hydraulic fluid in the convertible top system. The proper fluid is a ten-weight SAE oil. A bulletin will be issued and ESI will also be corrected. Thanks. If there are any questions, I can be reached at 586-947-8890.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Old 03-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Overdrive Member

Also, notice the highlighted:

Service VME - Convertible Top Will Not Open or Close #PI00205 - (Jul 11, 2002)

Service VME -- Convertible Top Will Not Open or Close

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

SERVICE VME

This is a service VME to Chevrolet and Pontiac dealerships regarding 2002 Camaro and Firebird convertibles with a leaking hydraulic line on the left convertible top cylinder. The St. Torres plant has noted that 2002 convertibles built prior to March 28th may develop a leak in the hydraulic top system that could cause the top not to open or close properly. The leak may occur at the upper hose on the top of the left hydraulic cylinder. When the top was loaded into these vehicles the line could have become bent at the fitting, which could result in an eventual leak. To repair the leak at the fitting, open the manual valve at the pump to relieve the system pressure, unscrew the nut and remove the line from the cylinder. Remove the ferrule and the inner sleeve in the end of the line and push the nut back about two inches. Using care, take a sharp knife and make a clean cut behind the bend in the line. Caution: Do not remove any more than ½ inch of hose. Reinstall the ferrule and reinsert the sleeve, reattach the line to the cylinder and close the manual valve at the pump. Cycle the top several times to remove any air from the system.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 03-15-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:06 PM

Thank You Libertyforall

I was posting my last update and the pump pic. came in from Liberty. If you look at his pic., and look at the 90 deg fitting on the side that run's downward, it's this short length of hdy. line >>> broken brass fitting barrel.

Wild that this >> brass fitting barrel for the 90 deg. fitting << just split in half.. just crazy in my book.

Again, I hope the pump ain't wrecked ! Looking to buy hdy. fluid but don't know if it's anything special from GM of Not ?

Does anyone know for sure.. ________________ << what goes in there ?

Avery

Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 PM

Thank for the Posting the Right Hdy. Oil for my 2002 Top Motor.

I see that it's >> 10 Wt. SAE Hdy Oil << and Not Dextron III ATF.

Thank You Much,

Avery