LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

healthy and beasty

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
yah it would be nice to know your budget. its real easy to pop 6k into a motor. unless you steal one for 2500 like whammer. lol. i think thats what it was anyways. oh and top 5 for me, heads, cam, valve train, pistons and connecting rods.
I thought he paid around $4k.

If he only paid $2500 I'm not speaking to him any more ;-)

Old 01-25-2011, 01:31 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

haha it was 4800 guys.

craby's top 5 list looks pretty solid.

internals of a motor include pistons and rods. it doesn't necessarily NEED to be stroked to put down loads of power. by upgrading the rods and pistons and polishing the crank, you have made your engine MUCH stronger and more likely to handle a 150 shot of nitrous on top of whatever power you make. which is when you will be looking at beefing up rear ends and trannys

Old 01-25-2011, 09:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

you guys are great and i should be more spacific on some of this so i guess what i need is verification on my idea and opinions otherwise I know for a must im going to put new heads cam and bore it .30 over plus im going to port the intake and put headers on it. my budget isnt much but i would say i found a motor for 400 and total i dont want to spend more the 3k. so my next question is what are the best plugs to use, is upgrading injectors a must, is the msd cap and rotor worth it and what upgrades can be done to bottom end and rear end..... again thank you guys you have helped alot

Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

2600 bucks is not going to do what you want. 1800 bucks for le2 heads, custom cam and intake port job ant elliotts, that leaves 800 bucks which will get a set of headers and y pipe and maybe a cat back. still gota get 1.6 roller rockers. pushrods, lifters, guide plates, gaskets, bearing, oil pump, machine shop work, pistions, rings, connecting rods and whatever else. your looking at close to 5 k to get to your goal if you use average quality parts.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are interested I can tell you how to get around 400hp to the rear wheels with a very inexpensive top end build. PM me.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 AM
2nd Gear member

Ive some 1st gen sbc builds in magazines that make about 400 horses for around this price. Maybe a Trick Flow Lt1 top end kit? not sure that after everything it'll fit in your budget though.
http://WWW.trickflow.com/egnsearch.a...5&autoview=sku

Old 01-26-2011, 07:00 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LT1ChevyBoy
i found a motor for 400 and total i dont want to spend more the 3k. so my next question is what are the best plugs to use, i
sometimes we old timers come across as being crass, or cranky, or even mean spirited......wanna know why? People ask questions but then disregard the sound advice given by people who have actually done things like this a few times.

You opening post says "you are rebuilding an LT1"

now you state that you can buy a motor for $400. So which is it? Does your first post actually mean that you want to rebuild a LT1?

enough of that

You are making a very dangerous assumption assuming the $400 motor is in great shape, isn't cracked, can be cleaned up and even used.

Before you even begin the project, or have sufficient funds to do said project, you then ask about spark plugs?????????????????????????????????????

Modifying vehicles can be fun and rewarding as it's a passion. It's a great group of people who share the love of vehicles. Ask anyone who loves it if they ever offered to "give someone a quick hand" and the next thing you know, their pants and shirt are ruined because a quick looksee turned into digging into the project.

If you refuse to go into projects without your eyes wide open and accepting reality, you will quickly become disappointed, upset, discouraged and even mad.

Heck, just putting on a decent exhaust system and headers is $1,000 and that's doing it yourself.

So please listen to the voices of reason and experience that have been offered by those within this thread. We'd all love to see photos of the build, follow the progress and cheer you on. But, if your pockets are not deep enough, then I fear that you are, as my momma used to say, "biting off more than you can chew"

Old 01-26-2011, 07:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I can get everything i need at a more reasonable price then most le1 heads if i decide to go that route 1300 full engine gasket set 200 water pump 40 valve covers 100 rollers 1.60 250 already have pushrods honing it myself powdercoating it myself bore and port and polish 100 bucks cap 130 plugs 40 already have magnaflow cat back so pacesetter longtubes 300 which brings me too about 2460 so far and i was giving a ballpark figure plus the reason i asked about plugs was hoping to get directed to e3 mainly because my store carried them but then were quickly pulled and i have heard good and bad

Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

also the motor in the car is perfect so i bought another one as a winter project plus i would rather like to make this car perfect cause shes my baby and im going to have it a long time

Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LT1ChevyBoy
I can get everything i need at a more reasonable price then most le1 heads if i decide to go that route 1300 full engine gasket set 200 water pump 40 valve covers 100 rollers 1.60 250 already have pushrods honing it myself powdercoating it myself bore and port and polish 100 bucks cap 130 plugs 40 already have magnaflow cat back so pacesetter longtubes 300 which brings me too about 2460 so far and i was giving a ballpark figure plus the reason i asked about plugs was hoping to get directed to e3 mainly because my store carried them but then were quickly pulled and i have heard good and bad
since you don't know the disposition of the $400 motor you need to have it inspected.

I don't know where you live but I can't even get a a block bored for $100 and you can get that as well as heads ported and polished for that same $100

Then if that's the case, absolutely save the $thousands that the rest of us would spend for machine work and getting heads/cam packages

keep us updated