LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

good distributor to use

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default good distributor to use

hey does anyone know of a good distributor to use on a 94 z28 i used to have the 500$ msd one but it recently broke so im looking to get a good one at a decnt price.. any suggestions?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member

delco or delphi, oem style, go to vented if you can

Old 02-15-2012, 01:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Are they good performance wise??

Old 02-15-2012, 03:24 PM
4th Gear Member

No worse than an MSD one. They usually last longer and cost less too.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
2nd Gear member

You'll need some actual modifications to use a vented opti...unless you do another version which is basically creating your own vent for the opti and rigging up the vacuum lines.

Delphi and ac delco are essentially the same thing, the MSD I've been told can be a pain since it really has no exact way to set the timing. I recently did mine and went with an aftermarket from CMS which I found is a love/hate thing depending on who you talk to. I purchased mine for around $130 and a year warranty, started up first try and has given me no problems.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks that's good to know ill ne looking into a them soon. I don't mind the msd and haven't had a huge problem with it but it sat for a while and got water and stuff in it so im just not trying to go broke over a distributor

Old 02-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by JGuy07
...the MSD I've been told can be a pain since it really has no exact way to set the timing.
??? I put an MSD opti on my 92 Vette, and it attaches to the block and cam the same way the stock one did. There's nothing to time, but it is adjustable (it's set to stock out of the box).
Curious what broke on the MSD? When I compared it to the stock one, the MSD is built like a tank.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Hmmm, when browsing the forums when I was looking for opti info as well I came across a few ppl talking about MSD opti's and the timing issue. I asked, and they said something about a way to adjust it yet you can never tell where exactly it is set to. A few mentioned theirs was set wrong and timing was off directly out of the box. It was awhile back yet I can't remember if the thread was on here or another forum. Almost impossible to find one that far back about an opti since there are so many threads about them.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

computer adjusts the timing. it would take a little time but would end up were its tuned to be. chandlermotorsports is a site sponsor and makes a warented opti. a few of the guys have them and have not had issues.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by JGuy07
Hmmm, when browsing the forums when I was looking for opti info as well I came across a few ppl talking about MSD opti's and the timing issue. I asked, and they said something about a way to adjust it yet you can never tell where exactly it is set to. A few mentioned theirs was set wrong and timing was off directly out of the box.
Anything's possible, and the MSD could have been set out of whack from the factory. The stock timing preset on it is 1.5 turns out. You can adjust the timing plus or minus 6 degrees, with each quarter turn in either direction equaling 1 degree. If you intend to adjust your opti, you'll need to make reference marks on the lower pulley and in a spot on the timing cover that's visible when all the crap is put back on the engine. Yes the ECU will readjust the timing, but only at idle. So it's recommended you put the rpm's at 1500-2000 when setting the timing. If you go too far advanced, the knock sensor will tell the ECU to retard the timing back anyway. With that, the guys you found online who were fiddling with the timing but didn't know where it was set, didn't know what they were doing. As a side note, I found my MSD, by a private seller, new in the box, on ebay for $180 delivered, so it was a no-brainer. I wouldn't cough up $500 for one.

Quick Reply: good distributor to use