LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

gasoline smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Default gasoline smell

I have a 97 Camaro ss with an annoying gasoline odor from time to time.Anyone else ever experience this.The smell is coming into the interior from the engine compartment.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: gasoline smell

Check for fuel leaks first. If none exist, check the operation of the EVAP system as it can get pretty smelly if the charcoal canister is not being purged. The control solenoid valve is mounted on the passenger side of the intake manifold and is controlled by the PCM. The EVAP canister lives under the left rear fender. Check the operation of the control solenoid valve and the condition of the hoses connected to it. Including the vacuum/vapor hose from the control valve to the throttle body, from the control valve to the charcoal canister, from the canister to vapor pressure relief valve, and from the pressure relief valve to the fuel tank. The canister also has fresh air inlet hose which allows fresh air in while the fumes get sucked out

How it works:
As fume pressure increases inside the fuel tank, the relief valve opens and allows the fumes into the EVAP canister. When the PCM opens the solenoid valve a path is crated from the canister to the throttle valve and manifold vacuum sucks the fumes out of the canister into the intake manifold.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

first check where the gas can is like the lid mine is tricky putting on somtimes it happend to me just open it and see if gas leaked then take it off and put it on right

Old 04-04-2006, 12:54 AM

Z28Pete,thanks for the response.I will check out what you have suggested.Does the charcoal filter ever need to be replaced?Also,my car is missing some hardware namely the air pump setup(not quite sure of its purpose).The previous owner removed it and the cat converters to install headers..but thats another story.My question is would this somehow affect how the evap system works or is it totally independant of this......Johnjr

Old 04-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Tech Droid

The charcoal canister should work as long as it does not spring a leak or goes a very long time without being purged. The AIR pump is used only at warm up time to get the cats lit off quicly. If you have no cats, then you don't need the AIR pump. Also as leadfoot55 mentioned, make sure the gas cap seals fully, otherwise the EVAP system won't work properly.