LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

A free car and 5k to spend. Where to start...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
LE does amazing work for hand porting and the cost is nice, plus you get a cam with the package. AI does have the advantage of being CNC'd which is nice, but expensive and doesn't get a cam.
AI is doing HCI kits for the lt-1s now but they are a little more expensive than the LE setups. However they claim to make more power too. They claim up to 480 rwhp on one of their setups not sure if its true but that is impressive if it is.

Advanced Induction - LSX Heads & Cam Kits

And LE's are putting down good numbers too. I guess it depends how fat your wallet is....

how long will the trans last if he takes it to the strip is anyones bet though too. however if he only goes on occasion it should last long enough to save for a built one lol.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 PM

At this point I'm thinking my best bet is to get the car repainted and have the front seats recovered. Then I'll have a weekend car that looks as good as it drives. With the remaining money I'm debating rebuilding the motor and/or tranny. Or just saving it and addressing any issues as they arise. With a car that has 167K miles that could be any time.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Preventative maintenance is always best.

or

If it ain't broke don't fix it?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Preventative all the way.
If I was going to keep it as a weekend cruiser I would do the following:

Completely disassembly the brake system I would rebuild the Calipers, replace the rotors with either a zinc washed or stainless rotor. I would replace flexible lines and closely inspect metal lines. While I have the calipers off I would flush the brake system.

I would replace the plug wires. Plug wires fail more due to age then use. I would replace them just so I knew how old the current ones are. Bad plug wires can put a lot of stress on the ignition system and by the time they cause a miss they can damage other parts.

I would go ahead and do axle seals while I have the back brakes a part.

Inspect every inch of the underside and chemically treat any rust I found no matter how small.

I would pressure test the coolant system and make sure it holds pressure at least 2 hours.

For this summer I would closely inspect the engine compartment at least once a month and I would inspect the weep hole in the water pump weekly. Sitting with coolant in the car can be hard on pumps. They should give you a little warning but if it goes it will take the Optispark with it.

The cost of the above is not as much as you would think. A coolant pressure tester can be borrowed from most chain parts stores. And I would suggest you buy a Bore scope off ebay (assuming you have access to a laptop) they come in very handy for watching things and at $30 they are a no brainer.

Under edge of a valve cover with the scope.
Name:  valvecover.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  18.2 KB
Name:  EbayBorescope3.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  46.6 KB

Last edited by Gorn; 04-26-2013 at 06:57 AM.