Engine Swap NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Default Engine Swap NEED HELP

ok for starters heres the car info
Body - 97 Camaro V6
Engine - 93 Corvette LT1
ECM and wiring - 94 Z28

to start i have a 07 camaro v6 and i bought a 94 Z28 for the engine to do a swap. Long story short i had problems with the engine and it broke down. so i bought a 93 corvette engine and ecm. The place that installed the engine disassembled everything. here is all i know. I think they used the corvette block heads cam, etc bottom half. They used the 94 Z28 intake manifold fuel rails throttle body, etc top and front half.
Now for the problems....
The engine does run, however not well. It doesn't have the power it seems like it should. The check engine light comes one when you crank the car however if the car is in drive and at a red light, the check engine light cuts off. The electric fans also kind of correspond to this. They cut on when you crank the engine and cut off at a red light but cut back on when you take off again. I think the issues are coming from the ecm and wiring. anyone who has any experience with ecm issues or any suggestions please email me OSearcy4@aol.com. I just want this car to run and run strong. I have dumped a lot of money into a good engine and it just doesn't go like it should. I can't get a code reader to read the ecm because i dont think the plug is wired right. i have both the obd1 and obd2 plugs and i've tried both of them. Anyone who has a shop near Auburn, AL please email me also i would be willing to drive close by just to have someone look at it. thanks.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what ecm did they use? 07 has obd2 and the 93 has one style of obd1 and 94 another style obd1 called a obd1.5. im thinking something is clashing. could be as simple as the wrong knock sensor but without a scann for codes its gona be a tough road to hoe. oh welcome to the forum, do an intro on the new members page.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

by the way what numbers on the 93 vette ecm? i need one for my 93 z.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Overdrive Member

See if you can flash the codes using the OBDI with OBDII port as described in the LT1 FAQ sticky. I agree it sounds like an issue with the ECU. You should be running an OBDI ECU and wiring harness...

Old 08-30-2009, 06:11 PM

the 93 ecm is in my storage building i'll have to check on it and get back to you email me so i can reply to you directly

they used the 94 z28 ecm and wiring harness 100% sure because the corvette harness is wired for the ecm to be on the other side of the engine compartment and as far as behind the dash i think they jimmy rigged the connector just to get the engine to crank, but i know everything behind the dash is from the 97 v6.

the main problem with finding the codes is there is no plug hooked up. I have tried hooking both of them up and i tried the thing with pluging the obd2 scanner up using the wires i found it on shobox.com i think and it didnt work. the scanner wont communicate with the ecm.

i have thought about this just cuz it made sense to me. what if i bought a 97 ecm so the plugs would match with the wiring behind the dash and i got that ecm flashed for the 93 corvette knock sensors and other bottom half sensors but with the 94 z28 other sensors like throttle body, fans, coolant temp, etc.

would that work?
do yall know anyone that could do that?

seems to me like the only thing i can find thats different between the 93 and 97 is the knock sensors and fuel air mixture setting just mostly software stuff not any major hardware differences.

am i kind of on the right track with this?

Last edited by 95slvrZ28; 09-01-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i think the 97 has 4 02 sensors and a maf, lots of differences on other stuff. 93 is different than any other yr camaro in many ways. 94/95 is kind of half way between a 93 and a 96/97. i think that both motors are a lt1 and u should be able to use a 97 ecm with the 97 wiring and sensors. u would have to use the 97 intake and so forth. the biggest difference would be the opti.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:06 PM

the only thing i have thats a 97 is the v6.
the wiring behind the dash is 97 and the body is 97 thats all.
the ecm and wiring harness is 94.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

oh boy. the v6 has a different dash, transmission, and wiring. man. how the heck, man? as a last resort i guess u could go to a aftermarket ignition but the ones im lookin at are in the 2 to 3k range.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

u may have to switch to the 94 dash and wiring to get it right. or get a 97z dash, ecu sensors and harness's.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Man what a nighmare,, Your 97 OBD2 computer system works like a server. All the sub systems need to talk to it in order to work so either your car still has a it orginal ECU in it or none of the sub system will work right, ABS, Air bags, AC, VAts etc... I am not even sure your lights would work but I think that might be a 98 thing with the body control modual. If they used the orginal ECU to keep all that stuff working that would mean you have two computer systems. The one that runs the stuff in your car and the one that runs you motor. My guess would be the orginal OBD2 computer system thinks your car is just sitting there with the motor not on. Your motors computer is just a dumb box it has not clue whats going on.

You cheapest, easiest and most complete fix is to find a 97 Z28 wreched with a blown motor and strip out the entire electrical systems. I mean dash harness the whole 9 yards. In the end you will have nice car that any shop can repair.

Most trained techs can not splice two computer systems together and make them work well. You would need a sparkey to do it right (also known as a controls engineer). There are guys out there that can do this job in there sleep but most of those guys are big money per hour. Even if you did get one them to work their magic what will you do when it starts acting up in 6 months? No one but the guy that fixes it would know how to work on it.
Sorry I know its not what you want to hear but either scrap it or fix it right anything in the middle you will not be able to trust. Or convert it into a drag car. They don't need any of the "other" systems to work.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-30-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap NEED HELP