LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

cuts out only under full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 AM
4th Gear Member
Default cuts out only under full throttle

My turn for opinions from all of you. It's time for the thinking caps. I'm going to look into this as it's one of those nuisance things.

LT1
LT's
CAI
ORY
1.6 rr's
EGR and AIR deleted and tuned out
tuned by Solomon

During the early summer another NAPA waterpump decided to have a press fit pipe on top come off and give a nice hot shower to the engine.

GM Opti (replaced twice because one went bad in a week and another had the rotor come off)
of course new waterpump (frikkin NAPA)

Prior to the incident she purred like a kitten. OK, yes she also growled

Anyway, it picked up an interesting problem after the shower.

It runs fine but if you mash the throttle, it will cut out, almost like either no spark or no fuel and then it picks up and runs fine and it runs fine under all conditions except quick throttle.

replaced already

wires and plugs
coil
ICM

the above 2 were soaked during the shower so why not
TPS
I got a MAF error once after this so it's been replaced

fuel pressure is fine
optispark harness replaced

no vacuum leaks

It does this in open and closed loop

I tried disconnecting the battery

On my Actron 9145 I see the O2's changing voltage and nothing shows out of the ordinary. Yes, the 9145's can give you some real time data on the 95 Z's

I'm open to opinions as this one is interesting. When I had something like this on my 07 Stang I reflashed the computer with my handheld tuner and it went away. I may re-engage Solomon and reflash my tune and then do some datalogging. This is one of those circle chats where we all toss out ideas.

Oh, I didn 't just toss every part at it. I did one at a time but of course the wires and plugs were done together.

cheers

Last edited by torque_is_good; 09-21-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the ecu and ecu harness for water intrusion.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
check the ecu and ecu harness for water intrusion.
it's been a few months since the shower. I opened the ecu a couple months ago and it was dry. I've considered looking for a decent used harness because with all the connecting and disconnecting you never know if something may have gotten questionable.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did you test tps sensor at wot and check connection?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:30 PM
4th Gear Member

did you test tps sensor at wot and check connection?
a buddy of mine called me a dummy for not trying the TPS. So, I picked up a used one and got the same results thus why the TPS is on my list of replaced items. I figured since it's so easy to access I would try a used one and what is the likelihood that 2 TPS would do the same exact thing?

Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Codes? 42\36 are opti tells.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChandlerMotorsports
Codes? 42\36 are opti tells.
no codes

if I decide that i want to be sitting in park and rev the engine quickly, it won't. If i bring it to 2k and then rev then it works.

Normal driving you wouldn't know anything is up. It's when you slam the gas down quickly that it cuts for a split second.....no codes......nada

Old 09-22-2010, 02:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

dang sure sounds like a tps connection. have you got a tester. i picked up one of these. might call em and see if they sell just the harness to test with. have you got the aldl cable for data.
http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-t...1993-1997.html

Old 09-22-2010, 06:32 PM
4th Gear Member

dang sure sounds like a tps connection. have you got a tester. i picked up one of these. might call em and see if they sell just the harness to test with. have you got the aldl cable for data.
http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-t...1993-1997.html

I went with a stock TPS when I swapped it. I'm going to order a tune again from Solomon and use his cable. I'll ask him to send me my tune from the winter when he did it and reflash that first to see if it clears up. If not, I'll do the datalogging and get Solomon's input.

I think it's still running a bit rich so he'll fix that and I'll also have him stop with the changes of locking the TC. I need to get this done because I'm heading to look at an 89 RS this weekend that has a transplanted and rebuilt 350 and rebuilt 700R4. It's time for another project.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:05 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

kool let us know how it goes. yah the tune i got from him didnt last long. i have the pcm one in there now and im gona send solomon's back to be redone. mine is oposite of yours its messed up at low rpms. and my tc doesnt lock at all till 4th with his tune, id rather it locked in second and stayed.

Quick Reply: cuts out only under full throttle