LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Crank But No Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 AM
Overdrive Member

The LT1 does not have a cam position sensor. The motor position is determined in the Optispark by comparing a high resolution and low resolution sensor that use spinning wheels and photodiodes. In this manner the PCM knows the position of the crank and cam to within 1 degree of rotation. If they key was bad the car wouldn't even turn over, it disables the starter relay as well as the ignition system. Try replacing the whole Opti unit, not just the coil.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Nova
Ok, did a couple of things, put on a new coil.
Slv ah duh, he da said he put a new coil on? Opti-spark is behind all that is serpentine belted is bolt and nuts is he changed a coil he said.

We up to stick coils for each cylinder yet? I can't keep up with the tech is I sweep my posts generic/basic/abstract/fundamental answers is universal fuel, spark, compression is that guy needs to shoot his engine bay is more confusing what is warming that firewall.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Overdrive Member

Replacing the coil and replacing the Opti are different things. You can replace the coil but not replace the entire Opit unit, meaning you don't replace any of the sensors or other electric components within the opti.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I have yet to change a coil if I changed the opti-coil is the same thing, is it not? There is not some other coil if 8 wires fan out is 4 on each side is the is opti-coil my, my pre-stick (<also called>) is spark stick or the coil on each spark plug is that is a coil is 8 and not spark plug wires but a wire harness like for the injectors is a wire harness is no longer are there spark plug wires as in 8mm all in colors out the distributor.

Last edited by PAzYearazzUP; 04-02-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:46 AM
Overdrive Member

If you replace the entire opti then you also replace the coil. If you replace the coil (which is housed within the opti) then you do not replace either the high resolution wheel and sensor nor the low resolution wheel and sensor. If either of the above mentioned components is bad the car will not run correctly if at all.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Stop! Get the original thread poster here and get him to point to where he mounted the coil? Back behind the serpentine belt or you cannot open the unit because it is a closed sealed unit for weather and all that moisture is laminated with the epoxy. So the coil is on the top of the intake manifold?

I'll argue all night if you want. I want you to pull the coil out of that opti-spark unit if it is an integrated unit with the coil built in.

No, I do not know the evolution of the next round is most likely sequence fire for each coil is what we are up to today. I am walking backward is the spark tech. You with the low/high resolution is most likely basic FI. You mean the a-N is mid to WOt and the idle to mid is the, "Method." That is the evolution is your description of the resolution or wave count. 60hz either way is basic FI.

Last edited by PAzYearazzUP; 04-02-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Overdrive Member

The opti was only a fully sealed unit after 1994, the OP has never specified the year of his car, so it's certainly probable.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Ninja Administrator

OP, please ignore paz. he has been spreading bad tech. when his posts are coherent they sound confident enough to lead you to believe that the cars instruments actually read ohms to the tenth decimal.......... they dont... His posts have been so frustrating lately that i really dont want to go read them, i will just assume they are all complete crap.

I apologize for this. but most everything else i have read in here is good, so you are in good hands.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok so if the opti was replaced and the coil did you replace the ignition module. my first 93 had a bad ig. mod. and it would get me three or four miles down the road and quit. i would get a ride home put all the tow gear in the truck, grab a buddy and go to bring home. get in and it would start right up. changed the module and she ran like a champ.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:48 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

also did you check for stored ses codes. if its like mine there simple to get out. i have a dealer shop manual that has the readout defs if u need.

thats if the 94 is the same as a 93. ps have dealer shop manual for all my vehicles the aftermarket manuals cover to many years and lose alot of info for individual years.

Last edited by craby; 04-02-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: add on

Quick Reply: Crank But No Start