LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

coolant temp

Old 05-15-2008, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default coolant temp

I searched but I'm not great with computers and couldn't come up with whatI was looking for so please bare with me. My coolant temp guage on my dash doesn't move and the engine seems to be a bit warmer than any other engine I've played with but I'm not posotive. I want to run a mechanical guage but have no idea where to mount the temp sending unit for the "aftermarket" guage? Anyone know where a good spot to get a good reading is? Thanks for any help and sorry I don't post much, I'm trying to be a "fly on the wall" and learn as much as I can before chiming in much.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: coolant temp

Okay, apon further investigation I have learned that the guage in on the dash has a seperate sensor that's in between the first and second primary on the driver side head. Found the sensor in the head but I can't find the wires that go to it? Anyone have any idea where these wires come from so maybe I can track them down somewhere? Again, thanks for any information!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

What the wires are not connected to the sender? I know they have problems with alot of the wires that are close to the headers / manifolds melt. I know the wires come up with the MAF, Coil , ICM and two ground wires. It's in the same wirepack with the 1,3,5,7 injectors wires.Let me know if you need more.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay, I got everything hooked up and it's kosher, with the guage reading. Now I have a new issue. My fans don't seem to kick on until my car is at the last line before the "red zone" and I'm not sure why? I have a new sensor in both the water pump and the head. Also, the fan will kick off just above the center line on the dash. Anyone know why this is? Also, if my fans are on and I shut down the car, they'll stop as well. I'm assuming it's a deal with the fans since while I'm going anywhere about 35 or so it'll keep cool. Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thats what my trans am does. I always get scared cause it goes so high. But it comes back down everytime. Thats i guess the way they run them. Once your fans come on if your at a stop do they stay on and keep it at at around 210? Thats what my car does and when i shut mine off the fans go off to.
Just curious was yours different before. I always thought that was normal cause all the dealers i've talked to say don't even worry thats what its supposed to do they run hot. Im settin my fans to come on earlier though cause i don't like it to be that hot.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure what they set at. I didn't drive it today because I have my friends GTP and needed to drive it so I can't even remember what the ending temp is. If I'm sitting at a light they don't come on until the last white line before the red marks and then they stop right before the middle line so whatever temp thoes may be? How do you set them to come on earlier? I'm not a fan of my engine running hot either. Would I be wrong saying that the heads are aluminum? Thanks!

Old 05-21-2008, 06:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh, I don't know what they were before. Havent had the car long and just got the guage working.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

They do have aluminum heads. To get your fans on earlier you either need to get it tuned or you can get the hyper tec tuner and that can take care of it. I need to get the program so i can do it. I want to set fans lower, adjust for my 4.10 gears, raise the rev limiter, remove skip shift, And also do a all around performace tune. They run ALOT better cool to when mine gets hot it seems to loose pretty much power

Old 05-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Overdrive Member

The fans come on at 220 deg. So it's in the "red" part of the temp gauge. You have to get the computer tuned to get the fans to turn on earlier. I would recommend www.pcmforless.com they do good work for a good price. You can always consider getting a dyno tune if you have more mods.