LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Coolant passages in block

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:53 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Coolant passages in block

Whats up guys? I know I haven't been on in a long while, but I've been so busy with work and the Camaro.

Well about the Z...long story short, I did heads, cam, etc and I noticed coolant mixed in the oil. Not sure what it was, so I took the heads off and cleaned the block and heads and looked for cracks and what not. No obvious cracks, but I did notice one thing. All of the head bolt holes on the passenger side at least all look like they are either all the way open or somewhat open to the coolant passages. Is this true about this motor? The new head bolts come with sealant on them just like the old ones did, but I bought loctite thread sealer and I will add that to each bolt.

But I'm curious if the holes should be exposed to the coolant passages or not?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes they are and your not supposed to add anything that may change the tourque process. did you have the heads checked for cracks and to see if there warped?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah and they checked out fine. I knew they would be fine before I did anything, but I still gave them to the machine shop to be checked out and everything was fine.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have the oil cooler pressure checked. its between the oil filter and the block. other than that did you see any indication it was leaking by a head gasket? ive had problems getting a headgasket to seal before. it showed on the compression check and the gasket. it did make it way easier to know where to look though. had to switch to a better gasket. it was on a boat so i went with volvo. cometic makes a really good head gasket to.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear member

Fill the threads of your head bolts with a sealer that contains teflon (aka PTFE). ARP #100-9904 Sealer or Permatex's Ultra Black would do just fine. Use assembly lube around the washer area of the head bolts to make sure everything torques properly.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
have the oil cooler pressure checked. its between the oil filter and the block. other than that did you see any indication it was leaking by a head gasket? ive had problems getting a headgasket to seal before. it showed on the compression check and the gasket. it did make it way easier to know where to look though. had to switch to a better gasket. it was on a boat so i went with volvo. cometic makes a really good head gasket to.
I don't have an oil cooler. That was actually one of the first things I looked for and realized I don't have one. I didn't see any external leaks anywhere. The one thing though that I did notice was on both heads when I took the outer most bolts out that are under the valve cover, they were soaked in oil, but every other bolt under the valve cover was dry when pulled. Not sure what it could be, but since you say you had problems with gaskets sealing, then maybe we're in the right direction?

Also, I noticed that the top most bolts that sit in between the rockers, the holes in the block on the passenger side had little holes in them, but the same holes on the driver side were solid. So I think I may have hydro-locked those holes when going together, but still, the bolts had sealer on them. Jesus, I'm confused.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Update: I did the head gaskets and head bolts and applied permatex ultra black and torqued them down to spec as per GM service information. I'm not sure if it was residual oil in there or what, but I dropped the cheap oil I put in to clean it and it still seemed milky, but not as milky as before.

As stated, I did the head gaskets, head bolts with sealant. I don't have an oil cooler. I'm not sure what else it can be besides a crack in the heads or block.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, I kept pouring one quart of oil at a time and letting it drain, and then shooting air into the drain plug pushing ALOT more out than just letting it drain. After doing that about 6 times, it looks like the new cheap oil in there now isn't milky so it was residual oil.