LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Cold Air Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:03 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, that's good. I had one of those when I first got my camaro, worked good, kinda tricky to get both those filters in the hole at the same time. But once you get it, it's easy.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 383Stro
Works like a dam charm..no bs but dont tell anyone else.;-D I can send you pictures and tell you exactly how i set mine up. send me an im though dont want e1 out there with my secrets. ha ha You need a good pump and regulator though. just dont waste your money on a kit when it is so easy to do yourself. very safe too. Just look at the kit they sell..http://www.alkycontrol.com/ what a joke! i did embellish a little about his gain. Ive never put one on a stock lt1 but mine did pick up 58hp. I got the idea from my friend who runs a turbo neon..he designed one for his and it cooled the exhaust gases exponentially. We put it on the dyno and tuned it around town and on the dyno for a week and it gained 80 hp...so the wheels started turning. I did a little research and discovered that natural aspirated applications have shown huge gains too.
No offense, but I'm going to call BS on the numbers for your car unless you have some data to back them up. On a turbo car running water/meth injection you would be able to get gains because you could push more boost without risking detonation. On a naturally aspirated motor you can't just change your compression ratio at the twist of a ****. You would need some serious compression to take advantage of water/meth injection on an N/A car, and more than likely it wouldn't be on a street application. I would doubt that it would do anything on a stock LT1 aside from making it run like crap because the computer isn't tuned for it.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:57 AM
1st Gear Member

dispute me if you like...call bs! I could send you a dyno sheet if you want or you can look at the data on this naturally aspirated hemi that picked up 64 hp. http://www.snowperformance.net/dyno_...asoline&dck=19 Thank you for your confidence. :-D You are correct that h2o meth injection is more helpful with forced air applications but it does work well on high compression naturally aspirated engines also. come on down to the shop and see for yourself.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:09 AM
1st Gear Member

In recent years, water methanol injection has become ever more popular and recognized as an invaluable tool for both gasoline and diesel forced induction engines. As well as normally naturally aspirated applications. While often times referred to as a “chemical intercooler” it is more commonly used in forced induction applications due to it’s substantial cooling effects and added octane increase it adds to pump gas. Reducing air intake charge temperatures by 50-200+ degrees F almost instantly. Providing a substantially cooler denser intake air charge for a greater expansion of power within the combustion chamber.gains up to 10-25+ points in octane can be achieved. Thus, making 91 octane pump gas act like 105-116 octane racing fuel in their engines. Thereby eliminating our dependency for notoriously expensive racing fuels, which can cost upwards of $8.00-$12.00 per gallon as so many of us have reluctantly had to use in the past. Costing only pennies to operate when using 100% water, its also a far more effective, affordable and convenient to those expensive octane booster fuel additives as well.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:15 AM
1st Gear Member

LOL Cant increase compression by the turn of a **** but i can advance timing. Now listen, when i sprayed mine i already had a good base tune. I make one pull without spraying it. Then i sprayed it while i advanced the timing and leaned out the fuel curve. I just kept advancing in small increments (1-2* at at a time) until i got a higher than normal knock reading then i backed it off 1*. I personally got 58 extra hp. Now im not saying that you can just go spary it in a stock car without a tune and see results but i am saying it works for me.

Last edited by 383Stro; 04-15-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Overdrive Member

I'm not doubting that it would work for a high compression N/A motor, you're running 11.5:1 compression and have the ability to tune. On an otherwise stock LT1 that's running 10.5:1 compression water/meth injection would probably due more harm than it would good. If you put the injector into the intake elbow the cooler charge is only going to confuse the PCM because the cooler charge cannot be measured by the MAF since it's happening after. This means the O2 sensors will start to read an incorrect mixture and the computer will try and compensate. If you were constantly spraying the water/meth the computer would evetually edit it's fuel trims and you would probably see a power increase. The computer also controls the timing advance on an otherwise stock LT1, so this isn't something the driver can just adjust at the drop of a hat. It can work for someone who has a highly modified car, but the OP is asking about simple bolt-ons, not a full custom tuned setup with a different set of heads and bottom end...

Old 04-15-2009, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

i was initially just kidding around because everyone asks about cai on here. i thought it would start an interesting dialouge on a otherwise routine thread. I was correct sir ;D. Please dont moderate me sir. LOL. Now please allow me to remind you that it will not affect the o2 sensors in the slightest. The meth will burn off and what you will be left with is water vapor (steam). What happens when you first crank up your car in the am...you have condensation? Right. Also if you put the meth on before the maf sensor then the engine will automatically advance timing to compensate for the lower temperatures also not a problem. Wont cause more harm than good...lol even minor gains of eleven or so hp could be noticable on a stock camaro otherwise why would the cai be so popular? Completely safe. Have a look at the rear end i just posted...im blaming that on the water methanol injection LOL.

Last edited by 383Stro; 04-15-2009 at 09:31 PM.