LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

coil and wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Default coil and wires

Hey guys, Im getting ready to pull my LT1 out and rebuild it. I'm buying as many new parts as I can afford. I was wondering if anyone has used the Jegs coil and plug wires? I know the opti is if-y, so I'm goin with gmpp for that. Thanks for looking!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:11 AM
4th Gear Member

welcome

are you dropping the engine and actually going to do a proper rebuild? What are you having the machine shop do for you? How about the heads, what are they doing to them?

about the wires, I've been using the Jegs yellow 8.5mm wires for over 3 years without a lick of trouble

you don't need to break the bank with the gmpp opti. I believe there are a few here who are running the chinese opti sold by chandler on ebay. It wouldn't hurt to pm those guys. Use the search feature looking for chandler

I look forward to your detailed answer

Old 02-07-2012, 08:11 PM

Yes, I'm doin a proper rebuild. I would like to punch it out .030 over and go with a 4" stroke, if my budget will allow it. I have a local guy who's really good that'll do it for 20 a cylinder. Mabey a 4-bolt conversion on the mains.
As for heads I'm definitely getting LE2 heads with there intake and cam. I'm planning on having everything by summer so I'm starting to collect some smaller stuff now. I currently have an aluminum water pump, underdrive pulleys, Ac delete pulley (as I never use it and the compressor doesn't work), and a set of 42lbs p/hr injectors.
I'm also planning on ordering an adj. fuel pressure reg., better fuel pump, and doing an egr and cat delete.
Later on I plan on upgrading the 4l60, and the rear end, as well as the entire suspension. I know I've left off a few things, but this is hard off the top of my head. If you or anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears. Lol.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 PM

Also, thanks for the info about the wires, and ill definitely check out chandler for the opti.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by shypes3
Also, thanks for the info about the wires, and ill definitely check out chandler for the opti.
I bought a set of jegs lt1 red powr wires or whatever they were called because they were on sale and one was bad right out of the box. Had me confused and by the time i drove to a friends to use his scanner (20 min drive), the passenger side cat was fried. Had me fooled because i had triple checked the firing order and knew i had gapped the plugs correctly. Turned out it was on cylinder 6. i changed the plug first and made no difference. then i changed the wire and all was well... besides the bad cat.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Just my 2 cents but i personally wouldnt use a cheap opti unless you wanna do it twice. Ive never used the chandler unit but you usally get what ya pay for. Been there and done that a few times had more trouble with the cheapos then you'd believe. Finally bought a msd havent had lick of trouble since. Its also cheaper then gmpp. Just make sure you locktite the rotor screws.

Last edited by skinut; 02-07-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by skinut
Just my 2 cents but i personally wouldnt use a cheap opti unless you wanna do it twice. Ive never used the chandler unit but you usally get what ya pay for. Been there and done that a few times had more trouble with the cheapos then you'd believe. Finally bought a msd havent had lick of trouble since. Its also cheaper then gmpp. Just make sure you locktite the rotor screws.
The non vented msd is cheaper, but the vented msd is like 500 bucks and the gmpp around 400.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by skinut

there is also the phrase...........throwing good money to bad or a fool and their money are soon parted

just because something has a brand name does not equate to good quality or longevity. That is why I suggested he PM people who tried the Chandler. I am not running a Chandler. I first used a Summit $250 opti (could well be the same chinese supplier which chandler uses) but my new, more expensive water pump had a press fit pipe come off and soaked everything including the summit opti.

I've had GM opti's bad right out of the box and another toss it's rotor 10 miles from my garage having just installed the opti.

honestly, it's a crap shoot nowaday with respect to parts. As you see, I have had ZERO issues with the Jegs 8.5mm wires and also used them on the 3rd gen i restored and that is having zero issues.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
honestly, it's a crap shoot nowaday with respect to parts. As you see, I have had ZERO issues with the Jegs 8.5mm wires and also used them on the 3rd gen i restored and that is having zero issues.
I know people who use jegs wires and havent had problems too but like you said its pretty much a gamble sometimes on any parts now. That being said that is the only set of wires that i have ever bought that had a bad one right outta the box.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by greenmachine96
I know people who use jegs wires and havent had problems too but like you said its pretty much a gamble sometimes on any parts now. That being said that is the only set of wires that i have ever bought that had a bad one right outta the box.
so, back on topic to the OP

it's a dang crap shoot

too bad it isn't but would any of us honestly pay what it would cost for parts if 100% of them were tested?

We build electronics and perform ICT (in circuit testing) and then test 5% completely prior to packing. We still get failures from the 95% which aren't tested