LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

WOT stumble... TPS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Post WOT stumble... TPS?

Good morning all... its time I get started getting the Camaro running 100% so i can start the bolt ons... doing an oil change, tranny fluid/filter change, rear end fluid change, and a coolant flush along with some other odds and ends... first things first, the SES light isn't on, but sometimes at a stoplight, the car idles high and almost wants to stall, and when you go from part throttle to WOT, the car hesitates, stumbles, and backfires and then goes, but if i stop the gas a couple times and then go to WOT, it goes pretty good... is it possible the TPS is bad or can it be something else? Thanks... I made a post in the Projects section of the Fourth Gen, I was going to try to keep all questions and answers on one thread but nobody responded... sorry if I'm post whoring...

Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test your fuel pressure. number 33 on the list here 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids how old are your plug wires? could be the wires are getting weak and or plugs are failing. flash for codes number 23 on the same list.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 AM
4th Gear Member

hmmmmm

what could it be??

timing could be off
fuel trim incorrect
plugs arc'ing or misfiring

etc etc etc

as with building a home, it's best to have a good foundation

a new fuel filter, air filter, new plugs and wires

those are inexpensive and if you had long tube headers, new plugs and wires aren't bad.

with stock manifolds....................good luck

so, are you really going for bolt ons? Do you have the money? If so, then seriously, do the headers/y-pipe and plugs/wires at the same time. Also check the sticky about installing headers for the other items.

it also doesn't hurt to check your fuel pressure but only after a new filter.

if you are still popping ( i said popping with one o) after all of that, then my gut would be O2 sensors or optispark

but, don't go tossing parts for the heck of it

oh, if you are changing tranny fluid/filter because of slipping issues then that won't fix the problem; it's a bad tranny

Old 02-08-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
hmmmmm

what could it be??

timing could be off
fuel trim incorrect
plugs arc'ing or misfiring

etc etc etc

as with building a home, it's best to have a good foundation

a new fuel filter, air filter, new plugs and wires

those are inexpensive and if you had long tube headers, new plugs and wires aren't bad.

with stock manifolds....................good luck

so, are you really going for bolt ons? Do you have the money? If so, then seriously, do the headers/y-pipe and plugs/wires at the same time. Also check the sticky about installing headers for the other items.

it also doesn't hurt to check your fuel pressure but only after a new filter.

if you are still popping ( i said popping with one o) after all of that, then my gut would be O2 sensors or optispark

but, don't go tossing parts for the heck of it

oh, if you are changing tranny fluid/filter because of slipping issues then that won't fix the problem; it's a bad tranny
Thanks craby... I will check into the fuel pressure issue... torqueisgood, I am doing a full tuneup(plugs,wires,air filter, fuel filter) tranny fluid/filter change, and coolant flush because thats the first thing I do when I acquire a new vehicle because who knows how long its been since the previous owner(s) serviced it and then I go from there... The tranny shifts great with no issues... just preventive maintance...

Old 02-08-2012, 04:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The high low idle and backfires sounds like a possible vacuum leak, check the hoses and connections too.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:01 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lt1 xjs
The high low idle and backfires sounds like a possible vacuum leak, check the hoses and connections too.

good point

it's 19 years old and probably still has many original hoses

to the OP

you are doing what i call "make ready work" and I do that as well with newly acquired cars but also flush the brake fluid while inspecting/servicing the brakes.

I have lengths of several size hoses in my garage as well as various clamps

I make it a point to replace hoses as well.