LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 01:13 AM
Default RE: car wont start

so, i tested the front 4 injector wires for a signal[/align]the injector lead closed to the fan on the passengers side got an electrical signal[/align]the other 3 injector leads did not show a signal.[/align][/align]does that mean the pcm is shot?[/align]

Old 03-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Tech Droid

How did you check for signal?
The car uses sequential injection with each injector being individually fired during the intake stroke. One side of eachinjector always has 12 Volt applied to it, #2,3,5,8 from fuse #9, and #1,4,6,7 from fuse #10. The PCM applies a ground signal to the particular injector it wants to fire. The engine has to be turning for the injectors to be fired.

The PCM decides which injector to firedepending on two different timing signals received from the Optispark distributor, If the PCM does not recive the timing signals, it won't fire the injectors.

Scan the PCM & look for retained codes.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:30 PM

checked continuity between injector hot wire and fuse [checked out ok][/align]checked continuity betweeninjectorground wire andpcm connector[checked out ok]
added new ground and fixed old ground of pcm on front of head
re-did noid light, all 4 front injectors now show pulse while cranking
still won't start..........
next weekend, I will inspect/replace coil, optispark, plugs, wires etc

Old 03-12-2007, 03:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: 94camaroZ28

checked continuity between injector hot wire and fuse [checked out ok][/align]checked continuity betweeninjectorground wire andpcm connector[checked out ok]
added new ground and fixed old ground of pcm on front of head
re-did noid light, all 4 front injectors now show pulse while cranking
still won't start..........
next weekend, I will inspect/replace coil, optispark, plugs, wires etc
Ok...Does the front of your motor look like this?

Does your car leak oil? How many miles you got on it? Did you just buy it?

Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 AM

no the motor looks clean, no oil leaks, no recent fires[/align]hasless than 20Kmiles on rebuild, bought the car a year ago, ran like a race horse until4 weeks ago.[/align]we had over a foot of snow.I brushed the car off 2 days later.[/align]moved it to a clean partof the driveway. left it for 3 days.[/align]then could not start it since.[/align][/align]to recap what happened since the no start problem:[/align]iadded a new fuel filter[/align]wi put in a new fuel pump in as per your suggestion [which made the pressure not drop, thanks, good call][/align]cleaned and reinstalled the main + and - leads from the battery[/align]put in a new ground to the pcm which now sends signals to the injectors[/align][/align]i need to check compression over the weekend as well as make sure all the moisture is gone from the electrical side[/align]of the motor [optispark, plugs, plug wires, coil and coil wires etc] as well as test the coil.[/align]

Old 03-16-2007, 03:29 AM

ive had this problem with a 96 z it turned out to be the opti spark distributer not a cheap replacement

Old 04-19-2007, 11:07 PM

you guys were correct. it was the optispark.[/align]between the cold weather and ordering parts,[/align]i finally finished it tonight.[/align]it started right up with the first crank.[/align][/align]are the two radiator cooling fans supposed to be mounted with the electrical [/align]connectoron top or on the bottom?[/align][/align]my car has them mounted on top, the chiltons manual shows the electrical connection on the bottom[/align]the passenger side motor has an intermittent"bearing" winding sound, i think it is on the way out[/align]