LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Brake Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:21 PM
4th Gear Member

Wearever Rotors and Silver pads are what I have on the front of mine. Been on there since last Novemeberish. No warping and hardly any pad wear. Cost me like $60 if that. And that's with lots and lots of 160 mile trips and stop and go traffic. I've tested them under hard braking too and they work just fine.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

So I think these will be the winners.

98-02 CAMARO FIREBIRD BLACK BRAKE ROTORS & PADS F/R [SS-BZ 62055/62065 PSD 749] | eBay

I'm also thinking about either painting the calipers or buying some caliper covers-which seem to be rather pricey unless you want to buy the ones from Hong Kong. Thoughts...suggestions...should I avoid these brakes? Should I buy anything else when making this purchase? Forgive the really stupid questions, but I'm not a mechanic.

BTW, here is the second set I'm thinking about. They're PowerStops.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290728929132...ht_6381wt_1186

Last edited by flowride; 08-05-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Keep in mind that the only area that the zinc coating will remain, is where the pads aren't. The coating in the pad area will scrub off.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

those are both cheap china crab. have not heard of either, advanced brake technology or brake motive. because of cost i did the front then 8 months later did the rear. thats how i ended up with two different kinds.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Keep in mind that the only area that the zinc coating will remain, is where the pads aren't. The coating in the pad area will scrub off.
Yup...read that in the description, but thanks for reiterating it.

Originally Posted by craby
those are both cheap china crab. have not heard of either, advanced brake technology or brake motive. because of cost i did the front then 8 months later did the rear. thats how i ended up with two different kinds.
Brakemotives are actually a supplier. I did a search for PowerStops and that's what came up. However, R1 Concepts are machined in the USA. Here's their entry levels.

[FRONT+REAR KIT] ELINE "DRILLED SLOTTED" Performance Brake Rotors + CERAMIC Pads | eBay

Or maybe this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Brake-...ht_5073wt_1186

I've actually emailed for the latter to see where they're made.

Last edited by flowride; 08-06-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flowride
Yup...read that in the description, but thanks for reiterating it.

Brakemotives are actually a supplier. I did a search for PowerStops and that's what came up. However, R1 Concepts are machined in the USA. Here's their entry levels.

[FRONT+REAR KIT] ELINE "DRILLED SLOTTED" Performance Brake Rotors + CERAMIC Pads | eBay

Or maybe this...

[Front] Brake Calipers Drilled Slotted Rotors Ceramic Pads-Covers Left and Right | eBay

I've actually emailed for the latter to see where they're made.

you need to learn to speak marketing

please show me where the R1 says they are made in the USA...............nowhere

did you not understand "hand picks its product lines to ensure you are receiving the best in new technology"

Step 1- get pass to SEMA

step 2- attnd SEMA

step 3- visit the countless Asian suppliers and inquire about MOQ and shipping times(moq= minimum order qty)

or. visit Manufacturers, Suppliers, Exporters & Importers from the world's largest online B2B marketplace-Alibaba.com and use that search tool to find asian suppliers

open your eyes young laddie.

If they were MADE IN THE USA it would be trumpeted everywhere on the web page (and would cost a ton more too)

at the end of the day, your wallet will be lighter and your car will stop no better or negligibly better than my 4th gen with good ole Wearevers. But, you can say you have drilled and slotted rotors when talking to people.

If you plan on using the car on road courses then why look at the junk brakes at all?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 08-06-2012, 12:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

I can speak from personal experience, I just HAD to have drilled and slotted rotors on my Dakota. They lasted approximately 4 months before the first crack appeared. Granted, it's a 5000 lb truck, but still. It was wasted money. I yanked those POS's off of there and put a set of brakebest rotors on and they stop just fine and it's been over a year so far. DON'T waste your money on drilled and slotted rotors.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
4th Gear Member

There is a reason I won't ever go with drilled and slotted rotors is basic physics. A brake rotor acts as a heat sink. Heat from the caliper and pads is transferred to the rotor which then dissipate it. The more mass a heat sink has the better it transfers heat. When you drill and slot rotors, you take away mass and promote cracking has the rotor heats up. This is why you see bigger trucks using solid rotors and not drill/slotted ones.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if solid rotors where better without areas on them that dissipate heat then the rotors would be solid. they are not, they have open space in the middle. the quality of the steel dictates the quality of the rotor, if you buy cheap steel you get a cheap product. i have used quality drilled and slotted rotors without issues and like them. i have used cheap drilled and slotted rotors and they lasted about 4 months. i have used cheap solid rotors that lasted 6 months. i replaced the stock solid rotors because they were warped. most likely cause, the last guy that installed the tires i bought (at the time) over torqued the lugnuts or torqued them uneven. imo, except the stock rotors the cause of the failure was the quality of the steel.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor Question