LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Default Bad fuel pump?

First off, I have a 93 lt1 trans am with 138,xxx. I had originally posted here about a couple weeks ago that my optispark had gone bad after driving in a rain storm. Well today I spent 600 dollars to find out that it was not the problem. We then determined that there is no fuel pressure... I know, I should have checked that first lol. I replaced the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump fuse, and the filter. With the filter off, I turned the ignition on and nothing comes out. I believe it's fair to say the pump is bad? Before, it would at least start and run for a couple seconds, idle very roughly, then die for the day and not start until the next day, for another whole 2 seconds. Now, it doesn't start at all and I can smell gas. Any ideas? I took off the vacuum line from the pressure regulator and there is no moisture or anything at all. I think I am going to replace the pump, does the following work with my engine as a direct replacement? They claim they do but you know how that goes...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Old 09-06-2008, 06:36 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: Bad fuel pump?

Mouth. I didnt go through and look to see if it will work, nor did I look to see if there were others. I would recommend starting with an OEM replacement. But first, before throwing more money at your ride, I would trouble shoot a bit more. You know you have no pressure, but do you know why? You have a 15 year old car with 138 k + miles on it. Has there ever been any fuel treatments pushed through the tank/fuel delivery system? Old fuel breaks down and cloggs things. Could be bad fuel in the tank creating a deposit in the fuel pick up. Its much cheaper to clean the lines and rule that out than to but a whole new system.
You said it would die, then the next day work - soundslike a slow running pump, or clogged line. Check the line (bleed it) if itss good you might then have to replace the pump.

Also, now at least you have a bunch of good stuff and usable old stuff (untill you throw out the brokn piece). So its not a complete waste of time or money.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:37 AM
1st Gear Member

i had the same problem this past winter. i got a 93z28 too so yea id say its your fuel pump. my car did the same thing it run like **** untill i warmed it up then when i floored it it would misfire bad and kinda die down. i thought it was the optispark so i bought everthing then when the car finally died on me i took it to my mechanic and he said it was the fuel pump. he recomended the ac delco pump too. works good ever since. cost me 600 for parts and labor

Old 09-16-2008, 02:12 PM
2nd Gear member

see I had a similar problem car would be had dead spots on fuel when running and would want to crank over for a good 6 seconds before it would start. Mine ended up being a bad fuel pressure regulator and I thought it was a fuel pump, but I'm glad I took the time to troubleshoot some more because it was a much easier to change. So I would say take Thomas's advice and do all of thetroubleshooting