LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

AIR/EGR Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Location: Born and Raised in Ironwood Michigan (The Army sends me all over.)
Default AIR/EGR Delete?

OK, I have posted a little about this before and have gotten some very helpful info. Thank you to all who helped me out. Originally I thought that the P/O removed the EGR and AIR from the car, but after some digging around NOPE there they are. He just doesn't have them hooked up due to the aftermarket headers. Now I am digging a little deeper into this and would like to see this whole thing through. Please remember that I am a nOOb when it comes to emissions so I will need things written out in crayon so I can figure this out.

I have done a lot of research using the search bar on this forum, other F-Body forums, and good old and this is what I have come up with. Please correct anything that I am wrong about or add to where I am missing something. I would like to remove my AIR and EGR systems.

1. I DO understand that there will be pretty much no HP gains from this. My reasoning is the P/O installed LT Pacesetter Headers without the emissions hookups, but the "stuff" is still there. I figure if it is not really being used why should it be there.

2. I do know I need to purchase something similar to these minus the one on the left because I don't have to block anything on my headers.

3. Am I wrong in assuming that I need to remove all of the components labeled in the following picture or is there other items I need to remove.

4. I have read conflicting reports about tuning the PCM some have said that Being a '94 I shouldn't have any troubles. Others say if you don't tune DOOM AND GLOOM to you and your car. Regardless, I plan on sending my PCM to LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome! but I would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Well, this is a fairly lengthy post as is, so I will just leave it at that and I will tackle the AIR system once I get to the bottom of this EGR mess. I know the vast knowledge contained on this site will get me through this. Plus this will give me an opportunity to learn something new and the bonus is I get to wrench on my car.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:33 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

probly left it hooked up so the ses light will not come on. tune from solomon is a good idea. he would let you know if there would be issues.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have the block off plate and the air lines removed on mine. If you remove the EGR vacuum control it will need tuned out. The fact that the tubes from the exhaust is not hooked up means there is no way the EGR valve can do anything.

Here in PA emission is pretty simple on anything pre 96. No check engine light and emission items must be inplace. So my EGR valve will stay and appear to be hooked up.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Location: Born and Raised in Ironwood Michigan (The Army sends me all over.)

Well, I am from Michigan and there is no emissions laws there. I am in the Army and my Vehicle is registered in Michigan. That being said, no matter where I go I have to abide by Michigan law and not worry about the emissions testing and crap.