LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Acts like out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Default Acts like out of gas

I have a 1997 SS Camaro which I recently had a fuel pump replaced due to it not being able to maintain propper pressure and it took a couple turns in the morning to start but no other issue. That fixed the first problem but seems to have led to another. Now that it was replaced almost the next day after it was warm it would start acting like it was out of gas. After I let it sit for a while it would come back to life and I could continue driving. I took it back to the shop where they tested for 3 days but it never had the problem so they would not replace the pump. It started happening maybe once a week, but now that the weather is getting warmer it seems to happen more often and lasts longer. I also read somewhere that they had a low oil pressure switch in the pressure sender that can turn off the fuel pump, but my sender is a single wire harness not a 3 wire harness. Is there another switch? Never gives any error codes either must not hookup to the computer. Also my SS seems to have a similar issue I've read from others where the oil pressure does get very low when hot and it seems logical that low pressure and some sensor may shut off fuel to protect the engine... but again I have a single wire harness on a 3 pin oil pressure sending unit, i'm speaking of the one at the rear of engine, thats nearly impossilble to reach.

About to scream, any clues out there?

Thanks

Old 06-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Acts like out of gas

Is the service lite coming on? Before you go insane, buy a fuel injection pressure gage, around $30, & check the fuel pressure when the engine is acting up. The oil pressure fuel cut off switch was done away with the 4th gen cars, and the fuel pump is controlled by the fuel pump relay, which you may want to check out. There is a fuel pump test connector. a single wire with a connector sticking out of the harness over the right side near the strut tower. If the pump is getting power the connector will show 12 Volts to ground. You can also apply battery, directly to the connector and force the pump to work.