LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

$1200 to blow on my car,help me

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

lmao, i guess you have more knowledge than me so i def will take your word and do it. thankyou for the advise, it is appreciated, but i dont like you for the fact of making me realize all the other bs i gotta do.i need a money tree. forreal thank you torque_is_good.
paid 4500 for the car. will probly throw about 5gs in the dam thing just to sell it for 4g a couple years down the road):

i put in the 58mm tb today, wow the response is awesome!
im putting in the fuel regulator when it comes in

Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bobshannon22
lmao, i guess you have more knowledge than me so i def will take your word and do it. thankyou for the advise, it is appreciated, but i dont like you for the fact of making me realize all the other bs i gotta do.i need a money tree. forreal thank you torque_is_good.
paid 4500 for the car. will probly throw about 5gs in the dam thing just to sell it for 4g a couple years down the road):

i put in the 58mm tb today, wow the response is awesome!
im putting in the fuel regulator when it comes in

it just stands to reason. Consider this. In December 2008 I purchased my 95Z for $3,000. The engine had been rebuilt but most important, the interior and exterior were in great shape.

My plans were for bolt ons and to give the car to my son. I knew that I was going to keep the car around for a while and wanted it to be reliable so what I consider to be "make ready work" was performed. Bear in mind, if the intent was just to sell it then I would not have done it all.

"make ready work" was done because the car was 14 years old

new rotors, calipers, pads for all brakes and flush the brake fluid

flush tranny and replace filter (after bolt ons the tranny ended up dying so it got rebuilt)
when the tranny was out for rebuild the rear man seal was replaced ( I do that with all cars regardless if it is leaking or not)

new 17x 9.5 wheels and 275x40x17 tires (my son's life so I want good rubber all around)

new wheel bearings, seals, and bearing/seals for diff

new waterpump and opti

new plugs and wires

long tube headers and ory

magnaflow system

CAI

intake elbow to delete the donkey #$%^

tuned by solomon

recharge the A/C

new u joints

new bushings

1.6 rr's and springs

After the rr's the stock rebuild of the tranny went buh bye so it now has a street/strip build.

my son takes better care of this car than other children of my freinds who were given newer cars. He loves the car and I knew that he would and thus he pampers it and drives carefully.

So, my basis was $3k but I then sunk money into it because I wanted a reliable ride for him. It starts every day and I'd take it cross country without a thought. Yes, I could have spent $6k or $7k on a newer vehicle which all would have needed brakes/tires etc so my total cost would have been about the same yet his enjoyment level (OK, mine too) would not have been as high. And, dad and son did things together which is priceless. He now shares my passion for cars.

If your plans are to keep the car, and you hate always having to deal with little piddly things, then take care of items that you know will fail soon while you have the tranny out and rear end apart.

Imagine 4 months from now you notice some drips on the driveway and discover it's from the rear main seal. It would be a forehead slapping moment and you'd kick yourself for not replacing it when you were right there.

Last edited by torque_is_good; 02-17-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thats all completely true. and i thank you for your insight. thats a hell of a first car, i was thinking about just getting my tranny built and a tc. i know a guy that does trannys for 600.then i wont have to worry about it down the road.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes