LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Question about 2002 35th Anny Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Default Question about 2002 35th Anny Camaro

Hi, I recently was car shopping and found a 35th Anniversary Camaro in a repo/charity lot. (Not the LE SS or anything, it does have the Anniversary plate above the radio)

Anyway, the body is in near mint condition, a few scratches around the driver rear panel and a reverse light cover missing,

The interior is the same as the exterior near mint condition with the exception of wear on the leather of the steering wheel. (Interior is all cloth)

Its an automatic, not sure if its a V8 or V6 though.

Excellent looking car (In my opinion anyway) and I would love to buy it, only wanting 6995 for it.

I took her for a spin to see how she ran, (she was sitting for awhile from what i was told) so after getting her jumped and running, I left the lot with a salesman and did a few laps around the block. (I'm not car mechanic savvy at all) seemed to run fine to me but i noticed a faint whistleish type noise while i idled, and would get louder as the car accelerated then fade after getting up to 20-30mph.

Any clue what it is? Also I'm new here so yea. lol I bought a camaro a few years back and it blew the head gasket 10miles out of the dealership parking lot...so kinda worried about purchasing this one but she does look gorgeous.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

first thing you should do is figure out what engine it has 7k sounds awesome for a 35th aniv car the whistle sounds like it could be a vac leak and im thinking maybe its fading because of outside noise (wind the rd engine ect) especially if it gets louder with accel

Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 AM
3rd Gear Member

All of the Camaros in 2002 were 35th Anniversary Edition cars. My Z28 also has that little badge above the radio. Hopefully this is a V8 car. Its the only way to buy a Camaro IMO. $6995 is a lot for a V6. As for the whistling, my car does it too. It does it when the AC is turned on. Hopefully, this is the same case for this car.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

7k is alot for a v6 but my car was valued at 6100 by the insurance company and its a 95

Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 AM

How much would a vac leak take to repair? I really want this car lol...

Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

if it is indeed a vac leak you could fix it with no mechanic skills at all
at a shop cheep id charge you like 15 bucks

also see if they will let your mechanic take a look at the car first most places will

Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Overdrive Member

You will hear a hissing like that from a V6 or V8 if they have put a CAI on the engine. They provide more noise than the stock unit did, no biggy.

ALL 2002 cars came with the 35 annaversary plaque over the radio. Dealerships try to make that plaque out to be something special and charge more for the 2002 cars because of this. The only real Annaversary edition cars are red SS's with the silver checkered flag stripes.

Now if you ever look after a 30th annaversary car (97) you could get those in any trim level but the really rare ones were the SS's. If you got the annaversary edition SS it only came in white with Hugger Orange stripes, and a special interior that was white leather with cloth hounds tooth inserts. There were embroydered camaro logo with a stylized 30 in color on the seats as well. If you got the non SS annaversary you got the same logo but it was pressed into the cloth or leather seats in no color.

Massey

Old 01-11-2011, 01:26 AM

When I asked them if i could take it to a mechanic i know they wouldnt let me drive it over there, they told i could bring him to the lot though.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds fishy to me...if no Z28 or SS badge it is most likely a V6...and unless it has SUPER low miles isn't worth 7K...IMO anyway

Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Overdrive Member

If the lot knows the car is good to go and no issues then they would say sure! If they are not sure or know it has issues then they would tell you no. Ask for the CARFAX on it instead, the full CARFAX that shows each entry not just the summary page that tells you how many entries it has. If they give you some BS about that costs money and we dont give them out unless you are going to put money down on the car, walk away they are shady. CARFAX does cost money and they pay per month for an unlimited subscription not a per car thing like most home users.

Massey

Quick Reply: Question about 2002 35th Anny Camaro