LS Series Tech 1998-2002

LS1 vs LT1

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Ninja Administrator

I agree. I dont think the lt1 is a bad motor by any means, but there is a reason that LS style motors have prevailed. They are better technology a.k.a newer.

but newer isnt always better. for example, the ford 5.0 was canned in favor of the SOHC 4.6 which was crap. it made about the same power but didnt mod well. it was then replaced by the 4.6 PI and then later by the 4.6 3V. The 5.0 and 4.6 are completely different technologies but they almost took a step backward for a couple years until they figured out how do get more out of their modular setups.

with the lt1/ls1 issue, the ls1 utilizes a design that makes a substantial amount more power out of the box with less displacement (4 CI ) and also responds to mods much better. this is due to a revamped head design which required a new block design, but the overall increase in flow through the entire upper end supports power in a way that the lt1 cant even approach.

there are several guys running .600+ lift cams on stock ls1's, and a lift like that on an lt1 wouldnt even run without a crap ton of work and even then it would never be streetable.

so I guess I am saying that its more than an age or transition thing, because the differences between LS motors are subtle and you can make any one of them into something very similar to any other (stroke out a little for an ls3, or supercharge for an ls9 ect..... mix and match aftermarket parts and you will have a motor that performs similarly to whatever motor it is emulating) but stroking or supercharging an LT1 will not give you something comparable to an ls3 or 9.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:29 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

essentially the ls1 is a little more expensive to mod, but when you start with a better (newer) w.e platform you will be better in the long run, hense why i choose to own ls1 cars

although i am def not against a good ole carbed 350, hense my 383 79 =]

Old 02-23-2011, 06:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

if ur seriously lookin for an ls1 car pm me mine has 37k miles

Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

PM sent