LS Series Tech 1998-2002

LS1 vs LT1

Old 02-22-2011, 04:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default LS1 vs LT1

Im looking for a camaro/bird and am having trouble finding a low mile(trying to stay under 80k) and good condition LS1 car for a good price. I can find lower mile, and almost better condition LT1 cars for a much better price. So my question is What are the advantages and disadvantages of both, how does performance/handling compare, and would you stay away from a LT1 car just because of the LT1?

I posted this in this in the LS tech because thats what I was leaning towards, if this should be moved to LT tech I will do that.

Thanks

Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

Name:  2010-08-11000920-1.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  54.8 KB

Old 02-22-2011, 05:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

Name:  ls1god.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  36.9 KB

Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok, The LS1 is superior to the LT1. So let me rephrase the question.
60k, mint, loaded LT1: $6-8k
Same in a LS1: $10-12k
Is the LS1 car really worth that much more, and would a LT1 be a big improvement over the 3.8 V6?
Thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

Either of those V8's are big improvement over the V6's. The LT1 is not a bad engine, but if your budget allows, get the LS1.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zmaro
Ok, The LS1 is superior to the LT1. So let me rephrase the question.
60k, mint, loaded LT1: $6-8k
Same in a LS1: $10-12k
Is the LS1 car really worth that much more, and would a LT1 be a big improvement over the 3.8 V6?
Thanks
and the LS3 is superior to the LS1. That is what innovation does.

Yes, of course an LT1 is a big improvement over the sixer with respect to giddyup.

But, if you have a sixer, and it's in great shape, it looks the same standing still as well as when adhering to the speed limit.

You hear the same thing from the mustang guys. GT owners think those with the 6 banger don't own real cars. So, does that mean unless you have a GT500 you don't own a real stang?

It's up to what you want and are willing to spend.

If I'm not mistaken, and Camaro 69 can probably correct me, but don't the 3.8 4th gens outperform most of the first gen Camaros that were sold?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Ninja Administrator

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
and the LS3 is superior to the LS1. That is what innovation does.

Yes, of course an LT1 is a big improvement over the sixer with respect to giddyup.

But, if you have a sixer, and it's in great shape, it looks the same standing still as well as when adhering to the speed limit.

You hear the same thing from the mustang guys. GT owners think those with the 6 banger don't own real cars. So, does that mean unless you have a GT500 you don't own a real stang?

It's up to what you want and are willing to spend.

If I'm not mistaken, and Camaro 69 can probably correct me, but don't the 3.8 4th gens outperform most of the first gen Camaros that were sold?
the ls3 is built on the same design as the ls1. same with all LS motors. that part isnt so much innovation as specific design. its like saying the lt4 is an improvement to the lt1 or a stroked lt4 is superior to that. After the inception of the LS1 chevy has stayed with that motor design and tweaked it to fit specific applications. This is why ls1tech has such a large ls2, ls6, LSA, ect... section compared to the LT section. When someone is talking "LS1" they typically mean "GenIII SBC" where "LT1" can usually be substituted as "GenII SBC"

Last edited by SpecterGT260; 02-23-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:48 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
the ls3 is built on the same design as the ls1. same with all LS motors. that part isnt so much innovation as specific design. its like saying the lt4 is an improvement to the lt1 or a stroked lt4 is superior to that. After the inception of the LS1 chevy has stayed with that motor design and tweaked it to fit specific applications. This is why ls1tech has such a large ls2, ls6, LSA, ect... section compared to the LT section. When someone is talking "LS1" they typically mean "GenIII SBC" where "LT1" can usually be substituted as "GenII SBC"

you're splitting hairs. Would you rather have an LS3 or LS7 under the hood vs an LS1?

there really is no sense in the LT1/LS1 debate as one is newer technology.

it doesn't mean that the LT1 is garbage, it's just older. A carb'd gen 1 isn't garbage either.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Ninja Administrator

it isnt splitting hairs. your argument was the innovation in design between the two motors and for evidence you supplied differences in cam specs and displacement (not design stuff)

essentially you said "the newer one is better" "why?" "well... because its bigger"
I know you didnt mean to say that, but the differences between the LS motors are essentially head/cam changes or displacement changes. ls3 is bigger than ls1, but no more innovative because they share technology.

and to answer your question, a stroke, cam, heads, and even a supercharger would probably be easier than trying to harness up an LS3 into my car, so LS1

nobody said the lt1 is garbage, I was just pointing out that comparing ls1 to ls3 vs ls1 to LT1 is not a valid way of looking at things and shouldnt really be a factor in his decision for a platform. in fact many guys who decide to put LS series engines into their cars buy an LSX block and build and LS from the ground up with custom parts. It is an LS motor, but doesnt fit into any of the numbered catagories

Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260

in fact many guys who decide to put LS series engines into their cars buy an LSX block and build and LS from the ground up with custom parts. It is an LS motor, but doesnt fit into any of the numbered catagories
now you're talking.

You may be taking more from my posts. I don't get into the whole LT1/LS1 debate because it's old vs newer.

Search this Thread