LS Series Tech 1998-2002

FRAME QUESTION< PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Default FRAME QUESTION< PLEASE HELP

I bought a 1999 Camaro about 2 months ago, and put 5k into it right away. Recently, I was drifting around a curve showing off, and lost control. Well I got in a fight with a tree and the tree basically whipped my @$$. T-boned by 6-7 ft round tree on passenger side right on rear end drive shaft. Killed my qtr panel, snapped passenger side axle shaft, pushed my rear axle over about 5-7 inches, bending frame a lil bit along with it, where rear axle assembly attaches to frame. Only had liability insurance like an idiot so I'm doing the work myself with a lil help here and there.
Question is, I've heard 4th Gen camaro's have a multi piece frame that can be detached. Is that correct? If so, does anyone happen to know where about on the frame it can be detached? Is it extremely hard?
From the top of the rear hatch forward, the car is in perfect shape with a lil bit done to the engine, so i want to salvage it. I want it back on the road making mustang and Honda owners cry. Any help, advice, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:05 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: FRAME QUESTION< PLEASE HELP

My advise would be to buy another shell and put your drivtrain into it. You did some very significant damage and you won't be able to safley fix it yourself. The frame really cannot be unbolted, you can cut sections out and replace them, but again unless you have a frame machine you will not get the car straight ever again. Was it ever turned into your insurance? If so you might need to get it inspected after repairs to make sure it is road worthy in order to register the car.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:20 PM

wasn't turned into insurance. Never even filed a police report b/c I only had liability and no one's property or persons were damaged. I've already got the quarter panel cut off and rear end removed out of the car. So I think I'll finish repairing this shell. Hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be so far. I figured I'd have to take it somewhere I was just hoping for the best. Guess I'll try and find a body shop to straighten the frame for me. Might as well bend over now and get ready for it. Cause I'm bout to get........

Old 03-05-2006, 08:56 PM
2nd Gear member

depens how bad the frame damage is, my buddy does frame work all day long and he said to use a truck and pull the frame out with a chain, then when you think its pretty close, take it to a shop, and have them put it on the fame machine to see how close it is,if you know how to do it right that should save you a little at the shop.