LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Dyno Test/Tune in southeast michigan

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Default Dyno Test/Tune in southeast michigan

I pusrchased my '99 Z last year, with some mods (listed below). The previous owner (who probably bought the car as it is now, since he was not able to give me any info other than what I have below), said that the engine was never tuned. I'm assuming it's stock, other than what I have here.

I'm needing to know if I need to consider any other changes with the existing parts before getting it tuned by a pro, i.e. MAF, sensors, etc.

I'm also wondering what kind of gains from stock I have from this set up. It has a pretty wild cam, as it sounds like a Harley idle. there's a terrible unburnt fuel smell too, which I'm assuming is because it's running way too rich. I don't plan on making too many trips to the track with it.

If anyone knows a good LS1 tuner in the Metro-Detroit area would be a great help also.

Engine: Aftermarket Camshaft 85mm Intake 85mm Throttle Body SLP Bellow and Air Lid A/C Delete Assembly (factory a/c components included)
Driveline: D&D Performance T56 LS7 Clutch Mcleod Adjustable Cluch Master Cylinder 3.42 gears 6 speed
Exhaust: Headers (cat delete) 3" mandrel pipe Magnaflow Muffler Borla

Old 03-05-2010, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

you should be able to look up tuner shops on the side of the state.....there are a good number of them in Macomb county I believe. Just be thankful you dont live on the west side like me there isnt jack for tune shops unless you drive a ricer. well u need a tune for sure because the cats are deleted, your computer is thinking u still have them when in fact you dont. If u plan on doin a maf and/or headers ever do those mods as well before you get a tune. with the mods you have now u need a tune to get her running properly so u may as well get as much done as possible as far as mods go before you tune it.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh I misread your mods I do see you have headers so a tune is a definite must asap, so if u plan on an aftermarket maf do that then get it tuned. There is another option u can send in your chip in with your exact mod list and have it tuned that way. one internet place I was referred to is waitformeperformance I believe.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:05 AM

The factory MAF sensor won't cause any bottle necks in the system?

I've looked up an down the net trying to find places. One of them wants a grand, saying they have to buy licenses and a bunch of other crap.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Unless your runnin some serious stuff your stock maf sensor is pretty good as is atleast from my research, if u get the maf u should definately get the tune soon after as it already sounds like u need one. with the maf u run the chance of your computer misreading the data and then your engine will do all sorts of funny stuff. Maybe u should look into tune shops in ohio as well then, the only other idea is u just keep searching and calling places. Do not pay a grand for a tune, look into the website i mentioned above before doing that cuz that is a rip.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Default tuning and mods

I wish I knew what cam was stuffed in there. Then I might have a few more options. Whoever tunes it will have to figure that out somehow. :P

Old 03-09-2010, 07:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

you want a tuner who does efilive or hptuners

you can buy efi life yourself for like $600 with 2 licenses and learn how to tune yourself
just check out efilive.com or something

if not pcmforless.com will do you a base map and tune to sort out the car. also the unburnt fuel is usual without cats, but cam will amplify the situation

Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 PM

I took My Z to MotorCity Speed. They did the tuning for $500. The tech said he couldn't get rid of the unburnt fuel smell because of the cam. Said it's just a huge cam, and there's valve overlap, which could be fixed with some new heads. I need to get rid of a knock in the lower end before I can sink more money into her.