LS Series Tech 1998-2002

cheetah

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Default cheetah

is there a cheetah shifter out there that I can hook up to the stock tranny for a 98-02 camaro? or do i need a th350-400 tranny or powerglide in order to even have a cheetah shifter.. I'm looking to buy a camro soon, and was just wondering. thanks all

Old 04-26-2010, 09:39 PM

bump.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I have a Cheetah shifter in my T350 69, great shifter btw. I haven't seen, and am pretty sure there isn't a 4 speed version. Seeing how it works, you might be able to make a different gate plate, but it would probably be a pita since you would essentially be reinventing that shifter. I someday want to change my car over to an overdrive. Since I already have a Cheetah, and would want to keep it, figuring a way to convert it to 4 speed would be part of the plan. Whether it works or not is another story.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:35 PM

thank you for finally writing back haha.. i've been waiting... and thank you for the info... i'm looking at the 98-02's or 97z28... idk what it is, but i like the front ends of those cars haha.. thanks again..

Old 04-27-2010, 03:28 AM
3rd Gear Member

you need to get some kind of trans go shift kit for 4L60E electronic trans to tell it to shift when you move the lever for a start, and might need some ECU tuning as this also controls the trans. LS1 engined 99+ cars are easier to tune with the OBDII but there are some LT1 tuners, but dont know about these

Old 04-29-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by maudyZ28
you need to get some kind of trans go shift kit for 4L60E electronic trans to tell it to shift when you move the lever for a start, and might need some ECU tuning as this also controls the trans. LS1 engined 99+ cars are easier to tune with the OBDII but there are some LT1 tuners, but dont know about these
ahh ok, thank you... and if you guys don't mind... i understand you guys have autos... but, if you have driven the 6 speed maros... do you know how high the clutch grabs on those cars?.. i'm thinking it might be a big change from my prelude to the camaro.. i drove a buddies stang before, and i felt like i was gonna knee myself in the jaw... so i'm just wondering where the grob.. thanks

Old 04-30-2010, 02:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

I presume you have had a sit in a camaro, the position is totally different from a stand, in the camaro you practically have your legs parallel with the floor so you wont knee yourself. Im sure the bite point of clutches changes slightly as they wear, and not every car is the same anyway (practically all cars in UK are stick shift) my pals manual GTO is about half way or 3/4 to top for bite and its same gearbox and clutch set up as camaro. You'll have to see what the others say with the 6 speeds. Or even better go for a test drive in one for sale locally

Old 05-04-2010, 05:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My engagement point on my clutch is around 3/4 of the out if not further..and no i dont knee myself