LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Anti-Ricer Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Default Anti-Ricer Project

So after three maybe four days of drooling over my new '98 SS, and deliberating over the million possibilities, I've come to a final conclusion. I'm going to build a complete anti-ricer machine to commemmorate the death of my ricer days. >.< My main goal is not pure horse, but rather acceleration, handling, etc. Basically a slap into the face of the ricer belief that muscle belongs on the strip, nowhere else. I'll be posting pictures soon (girl's got the camera for her road trip), and also want to use this thread as advice, since I am a former ricer and have little to no knowledge of american cars, their capabilities, or the best routes to take.

I've already ordered a new exhaust ( http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=114 ) that I'm installing Monday, which raises my first question. I have a buddy with a 93 Camaro that mentioned dropping the catalytic converter for off road exhaust. His main reasoning was volume, but I'm wondering what effect it will have on acceleration, top end, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again, and I'll post pictures by Tuesday.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM

If you get rid of the catalytic converter you will have better acceleration. You should get headers and true dual exhaust. The manifold and original exhaust are very restrictive.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Thumbs up

ive got a 00 v6, but my cat got plugged and i didint wanna spend the money to replace it so i just replaced it with some pipe. Holy hell it made a difference!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:36 AM
3rd Gear Member

firstly what type of RICER are you wanting to 'KILL', i live in UK so me and my lone camaro are outnumbered by ricers. Thing is i dont bother racing rubbish like general civics, integras etc as they are not worth my effort.

Over here the main competitors are Subaru Impreza STI, toyota supra twin turbo, mitsubishi evolutions, nissan skyline Gts-t and Gtr's, nissan 300zx and possible starlet turbos 1.3T ( they are small and nippy).

In standard form you will beat nissan 350z's, civic typr R, integra type R in straigh line ish races, highway etc. The others above are on par with an SS or better. Essentially the camaro handeling is rubbish!, you will be out done my any midly handeling modded RICER on a track.

My best friend just had a skyline gts-t (single turbo but was running close to 280-290 bhp) The was matched acceleration wise exact to my Z28 A4 (with slp intake, cat back exhaust). My suspension was stock and he had full tien coilover kit and would run rings around me anywhere other than highway where i would pull a car length max.

I have just put umi LCA, LCA relocators, Eibach pro kit springs and kyb AGX adjustable shocks and struts, umi panhard and umi strut on my car and think i have a good chance to dominate most RICERs mentioned above but still my mates skyline with the extreme tiencoilover setup is still better (only just).

You need the bolt ons:
lid and filter you have
Headers, de- cat, race pipe ( mine has no muffelers just straight pipes but still have cats)
throttle body by pass
cut out the underside of the air box so air can come up the radiator passage scoop
slp smooth bellow
ecu tune/map (done custom on a dyno)
increase shift pressure on A4 and remove torque limiter on gearbox
higher gear ratio like 4.10's for best acceleration
some good wheels 17",18" with sticky rubber (low profile tyres for handling)
full suspension set up like mine and addittion of sub frame connectors

This may see you to 350bhp + at wheels with a really good tune, you need a cam to go further. The full suspension works will make the car 100x better but there is a limit and im sorry to say a fully suspension tweeked RICER will still handle better but you will dominate with the power.

Hope this helps, any more questions just ask!