Anti theft

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Default Anti theft

So whats the best way to keep my ride from being stolen? Already have a kill switch, but i'm looking for something that'll prevent thieves from taking off in my car or breaking into my car.

Also, ideas without service fees would be greatly appriciated. (ie lowjack)

thanks,
worm

Old 09-07-2011, 03:53 PM
2nd Gear member

Disable the start on the key switch and install a hidden push button.
Add a red led and a flasher, wired directly to the battery.

If you want really redneck, wire the door pin to the horn and add a toggle switch under the car somewhere. When the door opens the horn will go off.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:58 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

that... its awesome...

clip on/off after market steering wheel that you can take out of the car? get a dog? kill switches (if they are well hidden) should be your best bet.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:10 PM

Awesome pic BudBrown.

I really like that door pin idea gfrenc. i think i might try that.

Anyone else have some good ideas?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

as far as deterring thieves before they even lay a hand on your car id say your best bet would be to get the little red or blue led light that blinks indicating you have an alarm.

or you could just get an actual car alarm! lol crazy thought right?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Overdrive Member

My Grand Prix has a LED that flashes. Still got my stereo stolen. Multiple toggles help. If you have an electric fuel pump. Also if you have a MSD you can interrupt the power to that with a toggle.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I've got an alarm system that's powered directly from the battery. A battery disconnect switch that is after the alarm system, and I never park my car anywhere I can't see it. Garaged every night, and if I take a road trip I make sure whoever I visit is a place I can keep an eye on it, or has a garage if I'm staying overnight.
I've had 2 cars and a motorcycle stolen in the past. Now every vehicle I own gets an alarm system and the battery disconnect switch with removeable key. Might not be totally infallible, but so far it works.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:24 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

this is the best security system in my opinion

Old 09-08-2011, 11:00 AM
3rd Gear Member

Do they still make the "step away from the vehicle" talking alarm systems? Those were pretty cool as far as noise makers go. I haven't bought a new alarm system in years (always come from the factory armed) but can't imagine they're too costly. Who actually pays attention when a car alarm is going off anymore though? I would go with disabling/interrupting the ignition. You could always cut the end off an extension cord, run the bare wires behind the door handle and plug the other end in? Kidding of course, but wouldn't that be awesome to see the theives face as he grabs that handle? lol.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
Do they still make the "step away from the vehicle" talking alarm systems? Those were pretty cool as far as noise makers go. I haven't bought a new alarm system in years (always come from the factory armed) but can't imagine they're too costly. Who actually pays attention when a car alarm is going off anymore though? I would go with disabling/interrupting the ignition. You could always cut the end off an extension cord, run the bare wires behind the door handle and plug the other end in? Kidding of course, but wouldn't that be awesome to see the theives face as he grabs that handle? lol.
you and i need to collaborate...

Quick Reply: Anti theft