LS Series Tech 1998-2002

air conditioning, feeling dumb and frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Default air conditioning, feeling dumb and frustrated

I can't find my expansion valve or the component that performs this function. Many posts refer to a block attached to the evaporator by an allen screw and I've seen pictures of this but there isn't such a thing on my car.
I had the compressor changed by my local mechanic two years ago. There had been a major failure of my old compressor (siezed). The AC never really worked very well afterwards and the compressor stopped turning on last fall. I finally figured out how to jumper the compressor and bring the pressure back to normal. I reset the PCM and now the compressor kicks in but there is no cooling to the air -- its a generally warm output. I have no odd noises, just no cool air and I suspect that the system is clogged with debris from the previous failure. The expansion valve, orifice or what ever there is installed on this car seems to be the most likely problem but for the life of me I can't find any info about where this part is located or where the expansion from liquid to gas occurs in this particular system. Online auto parts sellers do not even list an expansion valve for my car. Somebody please educate me about this. I've got the car apart and drydocked. I'm a geezer who is needing to grovel to his deadbeat son about getting a ride to work. Help!

Old 06-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Tech Droid

EXPANSION (ORIFICE) TUBE FILTER REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE:
1.Recover the refrigerant. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging .
2.Remove the A/C evaporator tube.
3.Remove the orifice from the A/C evaporator tube.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE:
IMPORTANT: Install the long screen inlet end toward the condenser.
1.Install the orifice in the A/C evaporator tube.
2.Install the A/C evaporator tube.
3.Evacuate and charge the refrigerant system.
4.Leak test the fittings.

Attached Thumbnails air conditioning, feeling dumb and frustrated-ac-expansion-tube.jpg  

Last edited by z28pete; 06-20-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:29 PM

Pete, My initial thought about your reply was that you didn't understand I was talking about a 2000 model but you are responsible for me FINALLY GETTING IT. Much much thanks! Everything that I had read about auto AC had led me to believe that the flow was in the opposite direction -- that the flow was supposed to come from the receiver/dryer. Its not this way in my system and my "receiver/dryer" is actually an "accumulator". Now it all makes sense.
Unfortunately what I have found leads me to believe that my entire system is a write-off. The "orifice tube" was certainly clogged with metal shavings and guck. I removed the entire line between the condensor and the evaporator and ran mineral spirits through until clear. I then pushed a length of weedwacker nylon line through it and it came out covered in black/grey lumps of guck that do not respond to the mineral spirits as a solvent. My entire system must be contaminated with this guck. If I can find a cleaning detergent/solvent that will move this stuff I may be able to save my condensor and evaporator. I don't see any chance for the compressor or the accumulator. I'm putting it all back together and I might try one evacuation purge at my local mechanic.
Any suggestions are appreciated and thanks again Pete.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:44 AM

The stytem was evacuated and recharged. The compressor is running without needing to jumper the relay. Absolutley no cool air or even a chilled tube on the other side of the orifice tube. I took it apart again and the orifice tube is clean. It looks like either there is a clog somewhere else in the system or the compressor is shot. Either way I'm replacing the entire system except maybe the evaporator but that might go too if I find it contaminated as well -- it shouldn't be but I intend to completely get this thing fixed once and for all. Thanks again Pete.