93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

in need of some help, getting really frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 11:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default in need of some help, getting really frustrated

Alright guys, 2001 5 speed, ~93,4000. This started happening last year and i thought it was the anti-theft, id start to turn the car on and just before the engine would crank it would die, cabin lights, clock, everything and the tach and speedo would randomly shoot up. Well it would just randomly start working again or after disconnecting the positive terminal it would start but only after being disconnected for 5 minutes. It did that twice since October 2006. Then this past week it died three times, i just disconnected the terminal and it started up, on the third time i took my battery in and had it tested, it was dead so i replaced it with a new titanium battery, it died again the next day. I do have a subwoofer, i disconnected it for the time being thinking i should just let the battery be for awhile. after about a week it hadn't acted up again so i plugged it back in. Last night it died again, i had been in and out of the car a few times so it is possible i drained the battery a bit, but upon trying to jump the battery it wouldn't do anything, tried pushing it alittle to see if we could push start it (if it didnt jump i know, i was desperate). So my question is, what could be going wrong? I had it scanned with an OBDII reader after one of the incidents but it came back clean. The alternator looks decent yet, is it possible that i have an intermitent short or some sort of alternator problem? I'd really appreciate the help, thanks in advance. If pictures will help i can try and get some, just specify what you would need pictures of.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: in need of some help, getting really frustrated

anybody? anything? please?

Old 05-14-2007, 09:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

Go do a battery load test and have the charging system checked. It could also be a faulty ECU

Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 AM

It seems to me like you subs are the problem. When you disconnected them, the problem stopped, right? Then, when you reconnected them, the problem presisted. Well, the first thing I would do is check the remote wire coming from the radio the the amp ( this is the wire that turns the amp off and on when the car is turned off and on.). If that is ok, then I would check to see if I need a new alternator and capacitor. If your amp is pulling more then 1000W, then you difinitely need a capacitor. All of these things would contribute to the killing of your batteries.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:47 PM

this may sound dumb but try cleanin up your battery terminals a bit, if theres any corrosion on them that could be what it is, i had a similar problem and thats what seems to have fixed it for me.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Overdrive Member

Be sure to spray some corrosion protection spray too...

Old 05-14-2007, 09:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

alright i will try getting some new washers and what not for the terminals just to see if it helps, cant hurt eh? As far the the subwoofer, i had disconnected it on saturday and it died again this morning so im thinking thats not part of the issue. I've talked to a few people that also own Camaros and there suggesting that it might be my computer, now ive read a few times in here that you can order PCM's from somewhere but i dont want to go and spend the money if its not gonna fix it (college sucks haha). So i will go get some new washers and what not for the terminals and ill repost here if its solved. Really appreciate it though, thank you.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

oh and the alternator looked to be pretty decent, but i think ill pull it this weekend and have it tested at one of the places around here.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Overdrive Member

I think you need a higher-output alternator, and/or a capacitor...

Old 05-16-2007, 09:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes

alright, im having the alternator tested either tonight or on saturday. But me being the idiot that i am drove my car to school anyways because its my only transportation, and it only acts up when its being turned on. It died in the intersection today, i thought i just stalled the engine but the power was dead, so im thinking its more of a computer issue, but im going to have the alternator tested, does it sound more like a computer issue?

Quick Reply: in need of some help, getting really frustrated