LS Series Tech 1998-2002

02 Z28 water in floor board

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 04:46 PM

thats not a bad idea. I think I might have found the problem though but we will see. Wehre the mirror is attached to the door panel and then matches up to the door gasket when closed I just happened to hear some air flowing in from somewhere the other day and say that there was a gap between the glass and the gasket that I could see light through and feel air coming through so I pulled the gasket away from the frame a little so it would seal tighter and no more air but there hasn't really been any rain or anything yet over the last coupple of days so i can't tell just yet but it is drying finally. I just keep my fingers crossed that it does fix it because if it doesnt I am at a loss.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM
2nd Gear member

The old GM test for finding a water leak is as follows:

1) Find the air extractors (the things that let air *out* of the body when all the windows are closed) and tape them shut. I think they're in the quarter panels on a 4th generation Camaro.

2) Close all the windows

3) Run the blower motor at the highest speed in any mode except Max A/C

4) Exit the vehicle and close the doors.

5) spray or sponge on a very soapy water solution, starting at the bottom of the body and working upward.

6) Air *will* be finding a way out of the body, bubbling crazily, and you have to find whick are the okay spots and which is the problem spot. It can be very, very hard if the the leak spot is hidden.

My dad bought a new Chevy Colorado pickup in 2004. First time it rained the driver's side carpeting was soaked. Took it back to the dealer twice to have the leak fixed. They, of course, farmed the job out to an undercoating/window tinting/bedliner installing "trim" shop. You should have seen the urethane these morons squirted all over the place, outside and inside the truck. He was pissed. And the leak continued.

I tried the GM leak finder method and found quite a few bubbling spots but they were all weatherstrip areas and not the problem.

When I put the truck on a lift to check out the underside I found a broken off stud that was supposed to hold on a firewall insulation pad. Can't imagine how it happened but it did. Water would flow down the windshield and then down the firewall *behind* this insulation pad. When it hit the hole it would just pour into the passenger compartment. I think my dad took back all the bad things he ever said about me after I found that leak for him. A dab of silicone sealer and it was all over.

Last edited by 1augapfel; 02-02-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:05 PM

holy **** thats what GM goes through to find a leak. no wonder it costs people so much for them find problems like this. well I am hoping I found the issue but I won't know until I can either get a hose out and spray the car or wait for it to rain next. My floorboard is finally dried for the most part though so no problem now but who knows come next rain. i am hoping i found the issue though. If not I may have to go this route which I hope I don't hve to but you never know.