Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Street Legal Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Default Street Legal Exhaust?

I don't know if I'm misreading this, or if it's true...But if you have a single exhaust system, are you not allowed to make it a true dual exhaust system?

Found this on a website:
13. How will I know if my new exhaust system will be a true dual exhaust or a dual exiting exhaust system? Our Catback systems are designed to replace your restrictive stock exhaust. If your vehicle has a true dual exhaust to begin with (if it has two catalytic converters, two mufflers and two tailpipes), then your new performance exhaust system will also be a true dual exhaust. Likewise, if your vehicle has a stock single exhaust, then your replacement will also be a single exhaust. However, you can have a single exhaust that has two tailpipes.

The reason why a single exhaust system cannot be transformed into a true dual exhaust is because of smog regulations. In order to make your performance exhaust system street legal, exhaust manufacturers cannot tinker with your factory-installed catalytic converter. They cannot add a new converter, and they especially cannot remove one. Since switching from a single exhaust to a true dual exhaust would require adding another catalytic converter into your exhaust equation, it would make the system not street legal.

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts.../51A6.aspx#q71

Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Street Legal Exhaust?

No, you are not allowed to switch to a true-dual exhaust. These come pretty much only on old muscle cars, but aren't allowed anymore because they are terrible on emissions, smog, etc. You probably just want a loud exhaust with Two tailpipes, not a dual exhaust.

Plus, if you buy a true dual exhaust, its obviousley not going to work on your car already. I'm pretty sure most shops won't touch is either, since they would get in trouble for doing it. (Or maybe not, because it might be legal to have, only illegal to drive.) It will be more expensive and pretty much a waste of time.

Most performance exhaust for camaro/mustang (Magnaflow, flowmaster, etc.) will come with two tailpipes anyways, so it won't matter. You should buy a magnaflow though, and say you saw their ad on camaroforums.com

Old 09-01-2008, 08:59 PM

wow, I didn't know that at all..I don't understand why they'd make it legal to drive cars with dual exhaust, but won't let you install it on your car?

But I really wanted dual exhaust with the 2 cats and 2 mufflers...instead of just two tailpipes (which is basically for show)

Old 09-01-2008, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Well cars that are made now, don't have true duals really.. because they have to comply with emission laws and regulation.

I know some people just run true duals even though they are illegal, but then have to swap it back and forth for emissions.

Also, I think there are some ways around it in certain states, although i'm not positive. I know in Illinois they are really strict come emissions time, and you won't even pass visual with them.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:43 PM

aren't regular exhaust systems with dual exits allowed? So why would true dual exhaust systems not pass the visual if they look like regular dual exhausts?

Old 09-02-2008, 04:33 PM
2nd Gear member

if you dont wnat to worry about emissions then get a car that is 25yrs or older,lol, in oregon they wont touch a car inless it has a cat,but i dont see why they wouldnt put it on for you if the system has cats,did you go to a local muffler shop and sak them what the law is exactly they should know what they can and cant do.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:26 AM

I'll do that tomorrow, just gotta remember

Old 09-03-2008, 12:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Damn, that sucks, I was completely planning on doing true duals dumped at the axle haha.
looks like i'll have to save my stock exhaust system to throw on when its time to do emissions then.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sixty6

aren't regular exhaust systems with dual exits allowed? So why would true dual exhaust systems not pass the visual if they look like regular dual exhausts?
No, dual exits have one single exhaust structure, that breaks into two seperate exits near the back of the car (which is why you see the 2 exhaust tips sticking out)

A true dual on the other hand, has 2 different exhaust systems under the car, and each one has a single exhaust exit (usually), but would have the same appearence as the one above, unless you are looking under the car.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

in my opinion, making it true duals is a big waste of time and money. your going to have to spend nearly $2000 in parts and alot of work, and all your going to get is a little bit better appearance. you wont see hardly any performance gains.

Quick Reply: Street Legal Exhaust?