Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Straight Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 02:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Straight Pipes?

I have a 355 in my camaro and the exhaust is a cutout in replace of the cat before the muffler which is a v force. It still doesnt have that deep throaty badass sound that most chevys have when straight piped. Would it be better to take of the muffler and completely straight pipe it or would that even make a differance? I dont think it would help since it already has an open cutout before the muffler...but some of the exhaust still goes through it...what do yall think?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Tech Droid

Nothing like straight pipes on a long trip. Make sure the aspirin bottle is full before you go. Seriusly, there is more involved in sound quality than just the exhaust system. Low compression engine with a mild cam, and straight pipes will sound like a pissed off farm tractor.

Last edited by z28pete; 09-18-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah i know but a cam is out of my options cuz of cash and headers would be sweet but once again...money...so going with straights is the easy cheap thing for me and i like it loud so it doesnt bother me. I figure if i took the muffler off it would sound the same coming out the back as it does coming out the cutout

Old 10-10-2010, 11:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I guess what im saying is would it make a differance straight piped with no cat and no muffler out the back compared to a cutout before a v force muffler? Would it be louder? Would it sound better? Would it be more raspy? I love how the cutout sounds now so im thinking it would sound pretty much the same just a little louder...?

Old 10-16-2010, 12:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Would it be louder cuz its coming out tips compared to a pipe underneath the car? Or would it be quiter because its going through more pipe?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If you go with an X pipe it will reduce the ANNOYING sound and still have a great growl to it.

Here's some good links on the subject. (sorry about the mustang link but it makes good points)....

http://www.mustangforums.com/forum/2...explained.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...xh/index1.html

Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the reply. I know that x pipes are really good but damn thats just too much money for me plus im not looking for performance really. 50 60 bucks is all i would even pay right now, plus i love the sound of open headers/straights over any other type. I was wondering how it would sound compared to my current setup. People on other forums were saying that cutouts are even LOUDER than straight pipes but my car isnt even that loud...it sounds great when i get on it but is really quiet when im driving normal...its too tame. Some of the exhaust still goes through the muffler so i figured it would be more agressive when im cruising around if i replaced the muffler with a pipe. lol what to do....?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

running it to the rear will make a difference. it will be quieter at idle, but will still be loud at speed. it can make it more raspy, or less. its sort of vehicle specific. i have a 95 geo tracker as my field beater. it sounded great with just a glass pack and a 90 degree elbow, no cat or tail pipe. i added a tail pipe over the axle to help keep fumes out when plowing, and it made it a lot quieter, higher pitched, and really buzzy. now it sounds like a frickin honda with a fart can.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah i do think it will make a differance it has to. And thats another reason why i want to do this is to keep fumes away. And to make it quiter inside the car and louder behind it. It might not be louder but im sure it will sound better...right now when i open it up it sounds like a ****ing BEAST...but when im cruising it sounds kinda like an exhaust leak or something

Old 10-20-2010, 05:43 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Wouldn't you need to advance your timing since you are Carbureted with the 355?? I mean with the straight pipes you would be losing a lot of low end grunt due to lack of back pressure....

My buddy owns a old Fox body mustang and he ran it with just headers and it lost all of its monster torque after that until he adjusted his carb a bit and advanced timing.

Quick Reply: Straight Pipes?