Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

shoot out exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default shoot out exhaust

Hey, wanting to get true dual on my 2001 v6 3.8L.
I know there isn't enough space to get past the axle with a 2nd muffler, would it work to have mufflers just before the axle and them being cut straight off from there, so it looks like my car has no muffler? also with true dual, do you go, headers, H pipe, cat on each end? or no cats at all?
i dont know if I'd pass emmissions here, but i would in delta (smaller city where we've got a second house) so maybe i'd register it out there?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:59 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: shoot out exhaust

headers to x pipe and idk about cats i live in jersey and we got lik the toughest emission laws next to cali a i said f*** havin a cat cauz the cat and cutout wouldnt fit so we went wit the cut out lol

Old 08-21-2008, 12:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

haha so you think the exhaust system im thinkin' of is legal and might work? besides the whole no cat haha

Old 08-21-2008, 12:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

yea idt c y not cuz ud be dumpin it b4 the axel but i not ppl hav true duel all the way back and it might be hard to set up but as long as u got the mufflers y dont u want just a normal cat back? just want somthin different?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeahh haha and I can get some decent piping, and 2 borla 3' mufflers for around 400 bucks, then add the pace setter headers to that, there's 600 bucks for a true dual exhaust system on a camaro, I called a couple of muffler shops and asked em, they said it's impossible to fit another muffler in, until i mentioned the cut off bit, then he was like hmm, come in and we'll do a free estimate!
haha I was like ohhh noww its all gravy! haha.
So I'm gonna go in there at 4 and see how much it would cost me for them to do it, if it's like 400 bucks i'll just bring them the mufflers and piping! .
and maybe if i really need a cat, i could always headers Y pipe, cat, and then another Y pipe out to the 2 mufflers? think that'd work?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

alright well id hav to say i would just go wit a normal cat back the one i got was $350 and i feel wit after labor itllbe more then $400 cuz i remember puttin my full exhaust on was the biggest pain in my ball especially the headers

Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I could always have my dad do it.
We've got a welding machine, and access to a shop..
so if I couldn't afford the labor, I'd just have my dad do it .

Old 08-21-2008, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

that works thats wat i did my dads friend manages sts and we used the lift which is a must for the headers atleast it is on the lt1 i thought my dad was gonna kill me for askin his help cuz it was that retardedly(dont think thats a word)hard lik wrenches wouldnt fit to tighten bolts and just stupid crap he hesitates to help me wit stuff o i also cant change my spark plugs anymore

Old 08-21-2008, 12:29 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: Benny

and maybe if i really need a cat, i could always headers Y pipe, cat, and then another Y pipe out to the 2 mufflers? think that'd work?
Thats how most cat-backs are, headers Y-pipe and they split into one muffler with the dual outlet tips.
H-pipe requires two cats.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

as soon as i get my exhaust system, next thing i'm getting is some good spark plug wires, and nice spark plugs, havent changed those out yet, and I'm positive that's what causes my car to putter when i first start it up

Quick Reply: shoot out exhaust