Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

replacing intake manifold gasket...suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:47 AM
Overdrive Member
Default replacing intake manifold gasket...suggestions

i am going to be replacing the intake manifold gaskets, should i replace the PCV valve during this time ?

Old 09-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: replacing intake manifold gasket...suggestions

PCV valve is a $5 item. Just change it out.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:47 PM
4th Gear Member

Replacing the intake manifold gasket is a major job and why do you think it needs replacing??? PCV valve is a one minute job at most. Also your question containing these two items makes me wonder if you don't mean the EGR valve?????

Old 09-19-2006, 07:10 PM
2nd Gear member

its not that major of a job, jsut take your time and make sure you clean everything you see, it makes it look better as well, and make sure you buy the metal fuel line disconnect tool, i bought the cheap plastic ones, and they were not strong enough, that was the worst part for me, and making sure it goes straight on when re-assembling.

did you check out that page under shoebox they have a whole walkthrough of how to properly do it.

o and yea, you my as well change out all the valves you can, that way you know its all good.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:56 AM
Overdrive Member

well i know i need to have the gaskets changed because the intake manifold is leaking, i plan to replace the valves when i replace the valve cover gaskets

Old 09-20-2006, 12:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

nothing to do with the intake gaskets but I have never had to relpace a PCV on a car of my own. my friends have had them clog and all I do is clean them out with WD-40 and they are good to go.

you can tell if it is bad by shaking it. if you hear nothing moving then you know it is clogged

Old 09-20-2006, 02:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yes, just do it. $5 item .

Old 09-20-2006, 05:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Alih

well i know i need to have the gaskets changed because the intake manifold is leaking, i plan to replace the valves when i replace the valve cover gaskets
a good bit of advice is to NOT use the front and rear gaskets. a bead of sealant work 100x better and has less chance of leaking. also replacing valve cover gaskets is a very easy job. replacing valves, on the other hand, is just short of a complete top end re-build. do you really know how much work is involved in that?

Old 09-21-2006, 03:22 AM
Overdrive Member

well my friend works at a shop near my house and he does most of the work on my car, he also has a firebird so he knows quite a bit about fbodies and LT1s, i dont think im gonna do the valves maybe later down the line when i put new heads in

Old 09-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Overdrive Member

well i just had the new intake gaskets put in as well as vacuum lines and it sounds mean even with the stock exhaust

Quick Reply: replacing intake manifold gasket...suggestions