Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default new exhaust

pacesetter headers and ypipe from summit. was wondering what exhaust to get to go with that.... would some guys who have used the muffler there talking about let me know about sound... fully built motor.... loud cam... thats what its going to be... really need to know what exhaust and cat back. my cats are gutted and it back fires alot.... need help on this please,.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: new exhaust

backfires a lot? sounds like you might be running way too lean and that's a good way to expensivedamages.

you say your cats are gutted so are you just talking about the exhaust racking off (more of a popping sound)as you decelerate? if that's the case with the backfiring, you are just not getting enough backpressure. a lot of cars have resonators to avoid that

I love Spintech mufflers. not a lot of cars ou tthere with them. they sound more like an older car then a "me too" exhaust that everybody else puts on their cars

Old 06-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Overdrive Member

The LT1 has a lot of "backfire" type noises that it makes, but they all do that, even with the stock exhaust, you can just hear it more and more as you open up the exhaust. I prefer no muffler but if you go that route, make sure to get some resonator tips or a resonator somewhere along the line so you don't go deaf, but it does sound good.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah its back fire. alot of people are saying the timing is off. sometimes it takes a couple of turns to get it to start. and i can floor it and let off the gas and yuo hear back fire....some said that timing being off would cause that...... and yeah i like the straight pipe idea. leave cats off? what do i need to get let me knwo...

Old 06-20-2007, 11:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

your car is a 96? you don't have a distributor so your timing really can't be off. this could be a major problem already with your engine (bent rod or valve) hard starting and backfiring aren't good

then you go on to say that it pops when you are letting off the gas? this is just the normal backpressure.

if you remove your cats, that is highly illegal and if you go with no cats andstraight pipes, you are probably going to throw a light and have to get the car re-tuned to dummy out the car's computer so it thinks the cats are still there, you are going to have tons of popping, you aren't going to be able to hear **** in the car, AND you are going to have the cops after you continously. not fun in my book.

a lot of people will say their car feels faster when they do this stuff, but the ***-dyno is all in your head. if you put it ona real dyno you would probably see a decrease in HP because of not enough backpressure.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

well you are the first guy on this forum that seems that you really know what your talking about. so whats your advice on the exhaust. as for the motor. it is being pulled soon.. 383 stroker full roller assembly. lt1-le2 head and cam package from lloyd elliot. and alot of other stuff so if it would be something other then timing then im still not worried about it.. and the cats are gutted with a flowmaster not sure what flowmaster. it sounds damn good.. my brother drove it today to find out whats wrong with it now and i couldnt help but notice how good it sounds... he said i burnt a plug up lol.. its skipping a little.. but read my last post on my build up thread you will see what all im doing to the car... thanks for the info

Old 06-21-2007, 12:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'll have to check out your other thread. can you post the link here? I'm a little lazy to search[&o]

I think if you're going with a 383 stroker you just want a real free-flowing exhaust. if you like the sound of the Flows outside the car as well as inside, stay with it. just stay away from the straight pipes is my only advice. I personally just think they take too much away from the sound of the engine and make too much useless noise

now after I've said that, I just want you to know that I do have them on my 69, but that car is built like a small animal so you can still hear the power of the engine and it isn't really drowned out by the drone of the exhaust

as I've said before, I love Spintechs on newer cars. I have them on my '04 GTO. here is their link and they have soundclips

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spin...ntechindex.asp

Old 06-21-2007, 12:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

and BTW thank you for the props but.......there are some guys on here besides me that do know their stuff, but there are too many on here that give out too much advice on just things they've misread somewhere and try to pass it off as things they've experienced themselves

no reason to give someone bad advice just to try to make myself feel like I know more than I really do

I am mainly involved in the older cars (as most my posts go in the first gen forum) but any advice I do give out. I give out with 100% confidence of not steering someone wrong. if I give otu advice and I'm not 100% positve about it, I'll let the person know and try to help them best I can

Old 06-21-2007, 01:09 AM
Overdrive Member

Well, as 1969 SS already said, your timing will only be off if something is messed up in your PCM, in which case you'll need to get it reprogrammed, but that's not a common problem. It's probably good that you're getting the motor redone if it's actually backfiring and it's not just exhaust noise. My LT1 makes a lot of popping sounds when I let off the gas, but as I already said, that's what they all do. If you already have the gutted cats and you don't have an SES light lit up on your dash, more than likely you're already running either O2 sims or the PCM has been reprogrammed to ignore the after-cat O2 sensors. If you're looking for a full exhaust to put on when you get your 383, I'd suggest a good set of longtubes. I haven't heard much great about the Pacesetter headers, other than that they are cheap. The main thing about headers, as with most things, is you get what you pay for. You're best option is going to be something from Stainless Works or Kooks or another custom header shop. Down from that, you'll want to look at Hooker, Hedman etc. You may have a bit more to choose from if you aren't trying to stay emissions legal, because then you can ditch the A.I.R pump and the EGR fittings. I've heard pretty good things about Flowtech headers for the price, but never actually seen them, but I can say the quality of my Kooks is beyond any Hooker headers I've personally seen, not saying Hooker is bad, but there are better options, but once again, you pay a price premium for better quality products. If you end up getting long tubes you're going to want to get a Y pipe that is made by the manufacture of the headers for that specific model of header, otherwise you'll have issues with everything lining up as it shoud. When choosing your Y pipe you will either be able to choose off road(no cat) or catted. Once again, if you don't have to worry about emissions the off road is cheaper, but it will be louder as well. As far as cat back from that, it's mostly personal preference. If you like your flowmaster, stick with it, once you get the stock muffler out of the way, the flow charastics really don't matter that much that far down the line because the exhaust gas has had enough time to cool off that most after marked cat back systems will be close to the same. Hope that helped out a bit, and I will now bring my small book to a close

Old 06-21-2007, 10:28 AM
1st Gear Member

well yeah i like but alot of people say that it sounds like my exhaust needs work cuz they say it sounds stopped up or something.... like its restricked... i dont know.. yeah flowtech you can buy at autozone for 99.95... and they suck.. the pacesetter im looking at are 500+y pipe.... ive heard great things about the headers. bad things about fitment and the hard ware that came with it... but the actuall sound of the headers from what ive heard they sound good... but give me a link to the headers you have...

Quick Reply: new exhaust