Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Muffler Delete

The guy i bought my camaro from says it has a flowmaster on it and it sounds ok but i want it to sound more agressive so i was thinking about cutting the muffler off and welding a pipe in place...would this cause a loss in power or would it still be the same because it would still have the same scavenging...i want it to sound better but not if im gonna lose power...can anybody help me out? I appreciate any advice...thanks

Old 03-13-2010, 09:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It will sound pretty sweet. I was running my car for about a week with pretty much open headers and it sounded awesome! It was a little bit loud though in the car. Also, without enough back pressure it can hurt your valves, not sure why, but have heard it from many people.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

backpressure won't hurt anything the less the better. having your camaro straight piped might sound bad *** at first but honestly it sounds like crap. i would put a catback system on it and get that nice deep sound.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well i need the money for other things so i cant get a catback or else i would...plus i like the sound of straight pipes and its cheap...but i have heard that less back pressure equals less power...i dont know what to do

Old 03-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 82 z28
...plus i like the sound of straight pipes and its cheap...but i have heard that less back pressure equals less power...i dont know what to do
So then, more back pressure equals more power? If that's the case, then just jam some potatoes into your tailpipes, and you'll have more back pressure than you can shake a stick-shift at!
Sorry, but that's how bad myths get passed around. What you are probably meaning to refer to is how flow velocity of the pipes can affect performance. And what JordanT was saying about the valves could happen if an engine's air/fuel mix isn't compensated for after a free-flowing exhaust is installed...Exhaust Back pressure

Last edited by Camaro 69; 03-14-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:39 PM
1st Gear Member

And what JordanT was saying about the valves could happen if an engine's air/fuel mix isn't compensated for after a free-flowing exhaust is installed...

could you explain a little more about this .

Old 03-14-2010, 06:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

im pretty sure what camaro 69 was saying is that it is better to have a more free flowing exhaust as long as you re-adjust your air/fuel mixture after you install it...

Old 03-14-2010, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 82 z28
im pretty sure what camaro 69 was saying is that it is better to have a more free flowing exhaust as long as you re-adjust your air/fuel mixture after you install it...
i guess thats my question then what do the air/fuels go lean or rich ?
whats a good air/fuel for a free flowing no cat exhaust ?
an for a straight header pipe exhaust ,i've just order the xpipe with cutouts an i'm running headers no cats an most likely flowmasters .
should the tune be richer or leaner for less restricted exhaust?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:22 PM

You will need to go richer. Too lean will cause problems and a lot of popping on decel

Old 03-14-2010, 07:39 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i ran my car without a muffler for 7 months with no ill effects of it. it had more power in all situations, from idle to 5k. it sounded awesome, and wasnt so loud that it became annoying. i bought the pipe on ebay, just look up camaro muffler eliminator. its like $50. the best was the crackle it made on decel, it would make kids scream and cattle run

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete