Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

header help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default header help

Ok so ive been doing research and looking through these forums and i know there are a million header questions but I need a little help...

I've looked at all the differences and advantages between short and long tube headers and I know I want to get LT. However many if not all of the LT headers Ive looked at say off-road use only. Is this only because the cat has to be moved or something else. My car needs to pass emmisions therefore needs the cat. What are my options for LTs and keeping the cat and passing emmisions?

Thanks

Old 04-03-2007, 01:30 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: header help

If you get LT headers you have to relocate the cats, so it technically "illegal" but most emissions guys won't care for the visual inspection as long as you have cats. Now, to keep all things happy in emissions land, you have to get a header that has the emissions hookups, i.e. A.I.R. hookups and an EGR feed. They need to have O2 bungs. If the headers don't have these, they'll technically be labled "off road use only." Then you'll need a Y pipe that has the cats in it from the same manufacture to make sure you have good fit. So, in all my research of headers, I've found Kooks to be the most logical choice, and pretty much the only choice unless you want to do some custom fabrication of tubing etc. Kooks come at a price premium, but the quality makes it all worth it. Best headers I've ever seen, they fit nice, have good ground clearance, come with everything you need to hook them up.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

how about pacesetter LTs? along with the y-pipe

Also, if I go with LTs and a new y-pipe can the existing cat be reused or do I have to get a new one?

Thanks for your help

Old 04-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Overdrive Member

i believe the only two comanies i have seen that have affordable LT headers that are emmission legal are kooks and hooker, i got the hooker LT super comp headers a few months back with a y-pipe but havent had them installed yet, just make sure when you buy the LT headers you find a y-pipe by the same company to make sure it matches up

Old 04-03-2007, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

these are the pacesetter ones i found

http://speed-eng.com/store/product_i...oducts_id=3606

Old 04-04-2007, 03:01 AM
Overdrive Member

I've heard mixed reviews of the Pacesetter headers. Apparantly they're pretty nice for the money, but you get what you pay for. I've heard some people have to take a hammer and dent the primaries to get them to fit correctly, which isn't good at all. I would suggest tossing the stock cat, you can get some reasonable money for recycling them because they are filled with platinum and rhodium. The main problem if you reuse the stock cat is it's going to be too far back to really be useful. The cat has to get hot, so it has to be close up to the engine to get the proper heat to work correctly, that's why you need the cats right off the header collector, if you stick it somewhere after the Y it's not going to work properly. If Pacesetter offers a catted Y to go along with their headers, go ahead and try it. I again will always recomend Kooks, they are simply amazing, they make my friends Hooker Super Comps look pretty shady as far as quality goes. Don't get my wrong, the super comps are nice, but there's not much that can compare to a good set of Kooks, maybe Stainless Works, but they're even more expensive, and more people use Kooks.